FORUMS: list search recent posts

Settings for Iphone 6 Plus

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denis Kunz
Settings for Iphone 6 Plus
on Apr 17, 2015 at 2:40:40 pm

Hello dear Community,

After googling for hours to no avail I want to ask you for help.

I have a library of 130 films all made by one elderly director who asked me to transfer them to his iPhone 6 plus so he could show them to people while traveling. He gave me a library of already transcoded mp4 files that mostly do not play or play distorted in various ways after transferring them to his device. So I took out my Media Encoder 5.5 using it formerly just fine with presets and got a little confused:

The Presets are for older iPhones I guess and no longer accurate.

What would be an adequate resolution for 16:9 and for 4:3 (ol Betacam stuff) on an iPhone 6 Plus?
What does NTSC or PAL do in regards to a Smartphone? This confuses me badly.
What kind of PAR is suitable? What is its even for?

He wants max quality. What settings would be good wit SD files and what with HD Files? I'm looking for file size at about 1 GB because he got the 160 GB model.

What do I need to look out for? My Computer is pretty old and waiting for hours to realize some little box was not checked is badly frustrating.

Thanks

Chap

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Settings for Iphone 6 Plus
on Apr 18, 2015 at 11:22:16 pm

[Denis Kunz] "I'm looking for file size at about 1 GB because he got the 160 GB model. "

First off, there is no 160GB iPhone model. Biggest they sell is 128GB and that is raw size, not the size with the OS installed. So you may need to adjust your quality standards a bit.

[Denis Kunz] "The Presets are for older iPhones I guess and no longer accurate. "

The old presets would play fine on a new iPhone. In fact, I'd recommend you start there with your settings. For the exact capabilities of your given model of iPhone look at Apple's website:

[Apple website] "Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 60 frames per second, High Profile level 4.2 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format."
https://www.apple.com/iphone-6/specs/

Depending on how long (duration) the movies are you may have to tweak your data rate settings higher (shorter duration) or lower (longer duration) in order to hit your overall file size goals.

Also keep in mind that you're using CS5.5 which was first released in 2010, so there's been significant advances in speed, efficiency, presets, and overall encoding within Adobe since then. CS5.5 should get the job done, don't get me wrong. However, things like adjusting the level to a higher spec of the mp4 setting may not be possible since the spec has moved on since 2010. They've allowed for bigger frame sizes, higher frame rates, and higher data rates.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]