FORUMS: list search recent posts

Timecode Burn in in Adobe Media Encoder??? There's got to be a way

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Kavanagh
Timecode Burn in in Adobe Media Encoder??? There's got to be a way
on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:16:11 pm

I'm constantly compressing twenty minute videos and putting them up on the web for audio mixers, writers, etc. I've always used Compressor which worked well because it had a filter that would create a timecode window on the compressed video. I was testing out Adobe Media Encoder and its simply way faster even if I'm using clusters in Compressor Adobe Media Encoder is 3x faster it seems. I can't find a way to get timecode on the video though. I'm working in Final Cut and I can't migrate to Premiere at the moment. Does anyone know of any kind of third party filter for Adobe Media Encoder that would do a timecode burn in as the video compresses for the web? Any other solution would be fine. I really just want to start using media encoder for all my compression because its so much faster. Any help would be appreciated.
Also, how hard is it to write/create a filter like that for Adobe Media Encoder?

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
Re: Timecode Burn in in Adobe Media Encoder??? There's got to be a way
on Jun 29, 2012 at 10:59:17 pm

Ever get this working?

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Aug 13, 2012 at 2:56:10 pm

I've found a few such questions on various forums, and no answers - I'm also trying to export using Adobe Media Encoder, with timecode, having grown sick of waiting for Apple's pathetic, antique Compressor to do its thing.

So...burnt in timecode in Adobe Media Encoder - is it possible? Anyone? Please?!

- Paul

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Aug 13, 2012 at 6:17:39 pm

While I don't have a way for you to do this in Media Encoder I found out that if you setup a local cluster with Compressor you can get much, much, much faster encodes.

Return to posts index

Diego Lopez
on Aug 16, 2012 at 8:27:14 pm

So as far as I can tell, there is still no way to add TC burn-in via Media Encoder. Very disappointed this is not an option built in as a filter like Compressor allows. Time to start requesting that feature I'd say.

I have a solution.

Up to this point, we had been outputting ProRes at full res from PPRO/AME and then using compressor to make it an h264 with TC burn-in that we upload to our site for previewing. This is cumbersome and can add up in terms of disc space.

What seems to be a better method is to add a Transparent Video track on top of the edit for it's duration in your PPRO sequence. From here you can add a TC generator filter to it and export straight to your desired codec or Queue it up for later.

Exporting straight from PPRO CS6 pegged all 8 of my cores at 98% while outputting (I love seeing this... I know I'm getting the fastest output my machine can muster) and was thus very fast.

As we transition to CS6, I think this will be the way we continue to do it.

Hope this helps

Return to posts index

Ian Liuzzi-Fedun
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:20:26 pm

Or you could configure Compressor to use all of your cores to begin with.

Return to posts index

Diego Lopez
on Aug 16, 2012 at 10:15:39 pm

Indeed, this is true.

Overall, my goal is to move forward with the CS suite as my toolset so I'm trying to wean myself from Compressor and also remove steps in the workflow.

One thing I noticed is Fast Start is not included in this setup, which I think is still not an option. Now I need to see if that's something I can do with AME... if it's not.... back to Compressor.

Return to posts index

James Goodenough
on Sep 11, 2012 at 10:18:10 am

Why add a transparent video track in PP?
I've recently jumped to PP from FCP and still use the same method to export TC edits.

Embed the timeline you want exported into a new timeline, as it is now shows as a single element rather than loads of edit points, drop a TimeCode Generator filter on it and export.

But you're right, I did a test and Media Encoder is at 3x faster than Compressor. Even when I'm working on legacy projects in FCP now, I'll use Media encoder.

Return to posts index

Diego Lopez
on Sep 11, 2012 at 2:04:31 pm

This is essentially the same thing. Transparent video means I don't have to nest my sequence. It's easier for me and I'd rather have less sequences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]