Adobe Media Encorder - H.264 file sizes

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Malamatinas
Adobe Media Encorder - H.264 file sizes
on Feb 3, 2015 at 5:04:30 pm
Last Edited By James Malamatinas on Feb 3, 2015 at 5:04:50 pm

Hi,

I'm just jumping back into some editing after not doing anything for a while and I've just finished encoding a 13min video. The footage was shot on the Canon 7D and encoded in H.264 using the exact settings recommended by Vimeo. Max bitrate was set to 12.

Doing it this way my file size ends up at almost 500Mb, is this correct? I have not added any effects at all, just title cards.

This could be entirely normal, but I thought I remembered the files being quite a bit smaller (they're are taking ages to upload!).

Cheers.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Adobe Media Encorder - H.264 file sizes
on Feb 4, 2015 at 2:17:00 am

Yep, that seems normal. If size is an issue, you could probably set the bit rate to 6 or 7mbps and still get a very good looking video on Vimeo at half the size.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Adobe Media Encorder - H.264 file sizes
on Feb 4, 2015 at 3:40:35 am

Your ending file size is entirely dependent on the data rate (both audio and video) that you set when you encode. If you want to lower your overall file size you'll need to lower your data rate, but that can negatively impact your image quality. As Daniel notes, you may be able to drop it to 6-8Mbps and still get a fine product.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]