FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encoding settings to play across most iOS versions

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria-Luisa Meredith
Encoding settings to play across most iOS versions
on Jan 9, 2015 at 5:04:56 pm

Hi

I currently have a clients video (Mpeg) hosted on a server which plays fine on Mac, PC and iPad, but only on some iPhones.

I've played around with various settings in both Media Encoder and Handbrake but I think it's older versions of iOS that are struggling.

Does anyone know if there is a way around this other than having to have more than one version of the video on the server?

Many thanks in advance.

M

Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.8 / 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

FCP Studio 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Encoding settings to play across most iOS versions
on Jan 11, 2015 at 12:00:37 am

If you're trying to cover the most amount of devices a mp4 using the h.264 codec is compatible on the all iOS devices and the majority of Android devices (as well as Windows Phone). The "gotcha" area typically is the "level" you set when you encode (see more info at Wikipedia. Older iOS devices don't support the higher levels (and keep in mind that there are now 8 years worth of iOS devices). Current iPhone 6 models support mp4's up to High Profile Level 4.2 (see the Apple specs page for more specifics).

At a certain point you'll need to decide where your cutoff is because you can't support every device unless you go the multi-format route. If you (or your client) is content covering the last 3 years worth of devices, no problem.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Maria-Luisa Meredith
Re: Encoding settings to play across most iOS versions
on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:35:56 am

Ryan, thanks so much for taking the time to respond, that's a really logical clear solution.

All the best.

M

Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.8 / 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

FCP Studio 7.0.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]