FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Media Encoder... MainConcept?

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hawkins
Adobe Media Encoder... MainConcept?
on Dec 29, 2014 at 7:04:50 am

Ho folks, got a quick question and wondering if anybody here might be able to answer.

Is the H.264 codec that is used by AME from MainConcept? And if so does it use OpenCL or Cuda for GPU encoding?

I think I have read on some sites that it is indeed MainConcepts. I use Vegas and it has a MainConcept H.264 codec but from what I have read is that since 2011 this codec (included in Vegas) has not been updated, nor does it take advantage of newer GPU hardware.

So I am wondering if AME uses a MainConcept codec that is GPU accelerated.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Adobe Media Encoder... MainConcept?
on Jan 4, 2015 at 1:28:17 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Jan 4, 2015 at 1:50:43 pm

Firstly, yes, MainConcept is the default H.264 encoder in the last few Adobe releases.

Secondly, regarding GPU acceleration, one needs to distinguish between rendering and compression. As of October/December 2013 AME supports GPU acceleration with CUDA and Open CL for a limited set of rendering tasks initiated within the encoder. Please refer to this Adobe Help page for more details.

Return to posts index

Chris Hawkins
Re: Adobe Media Encoder... MainConcept?
on Jan 4, 2015 at 10:56:41 pm

Thanks Ivan,

After doing some more digging, yes it appears that Adobe Encoder is using OpenCL or CUDA for any processing that is done within the program before sending it off to the encoder. Encoding speeds are the same between using GPU acceleration or CPU only when encoding without any processing.

The MainConcept encoder in Vegas must be old and outdated in comparison to the one in Adobe Media Encoder as it is by far faster.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]