Media Encoder just Stops
I am a recent convert to Adobe CC2014, coming from FCP7.
I've been trying to export a 15 minute 1080i(mostly XDCam & GoPro) piece from Premiere to either ProRes or h.264(Right now I'll take either). Timeline is rendered In to Out.
Half the time, AME crashes. Other times AME just stops processing, and Force Quit doesn't even acknowledge that the program has stopped "Responding". It always happens at different points in the timeline, so It does not seem like AME getting to the same spot and crashing. Occasionally, AME will get through the whole piece, but 80% of the time it crashes or stops. Rebooting and relaunching just Premiere and AME doesn't seem to help. I've tried setting AME for Open CL and CUDA acceleration. Same behavior no matter how that setting is set. Nvidia Web Driver and CUDA(6.5.18) are up to date. Any suggestions or similar experiences out there??
System is MacPro, 8-core, 3.2ghz(Early 2008), Running Mac OS 10.9.2, NvidiaGTX680, 20Gbytes RAM, CC2014 with latest updates. I know the MacPro is an older model, but I'd think it should be able to easily handle this simple encoding job, with just AME and Premiere open.
[Scott Shucher] " I've tried setting AME for Open CL and CUDA acceleration. "
Open CL = AMD GPU
CUDA = Nvidia GPU
Since you're running an Nvidia card, keep it on CUDA. Other things to try:
(1) Update your CC to the latest version - 2014.1 came out last month and patched many bugs
(2) Delete your "media" cache in both PPro and AME (Preferences --> Media --> Clean)
(3) Update your OS as Apple has patched bugs as well. 10.9.5 is certified to run with CC 2014.1
(4) Are you using any plugins - Red Giant, Neat Video, FX Facotry, etc? These can conflict sometimes and cause errors
(5) Do you have read/write permission to all drives where media is stored and where media is being written to (use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your volumes)
(6) Does the export work fine if run through Premiere (so don't Queue it to AME, just export directly within PPro)
Hopefully some of those get you on the track to solving this!
Thanks for the suggestions...
[Ryan Holmes] "(1) Update your CC to the latest version - 2014.1 came out last month and patched many bugs"
Did that as soon as 2014.1 came out.
[Ryan Holmes] "(2) Delete your "media" cache in both PPro and AME (Preferences --> Media --> Clean)"
Did that, but will try again.
[Ryan Holmes] "(3) Update your OS as Apple has patched bugs as well. 10.9.5 is certified to run with CC 2014.1"
Will update Mac OS as soon as I get this proj. out of the box.
[Ryan Holmes] "(4) Are you using any plugins - Red Giant, Neat Video, FX Facotry, etc? These can conflict sometimes and cause errors"
Using Sapphire 7(latest version). That could be an issue, but AME crashes or stops at different times in encode. Also, I've checked "Use Previews" so I'd assume AME does not have to go back and re-render the Sapphire effects, which play down fine, but rather pulls the encode data from the rendered preview file.
[Ryan Holmes] "(5) Do you have read/write permission to all drives where media is stored and where media is being written to (use Disk Utility to repair permissions on your volumes)"
Permissions all check out OK, and used DU to repair permissions this morning. Did not seem to help much.
[Ryan Holmes] "(6) Does the export work fine if run through Premiere (so don't Queue it to AME, just export directly within PPro)"
Export has the same issues whether I cue through AME or export directly from PP. I've tried it both ways. When I export directly from PP, at various locations during the export I get the window that says PP is having a brain hemorrhage and must shut down now. Or I've gotten an error message that says it can't "compile" the movie.
I'll keep trying some different work arounds, but I appreciate these suggestions.
I feel your pain, Scott. AME crashes on me several times a day. Typically this crashes Premiere as well. Unfortunately, this requires me to shut down and restart my computer in order to open AME and Premiere back up. I think its more a matter of Adobe Dynamic Link crashing than it is the individual programs crashing. The kicker? A saved AME queue is useless when this happens. Restart and start back up your render and you get the "baa haa haa" sheep/goat warning. Then, you must rebuild your batch queue from scratch. I've lost countless hours due to this. Please post back if you find a resolution.
I'm starting to think that the problem resides in a corrupt Premiere project. AME has been behaving better with other Premiere projects. The problem Premiere project crashed several times, and each time I re-saved a new recovery project. But I think there's something corrupt in this one project that's been leading to the AME issues. I've been working to two different Premiere projects since, and both have played nicely in AME. I'm starting to suspect that native GoPro footage might be a "problem child", as two recent projects with native GoPro footage have crashed on me, but I don't have enough evidence to know that for sure. I haven't had the time to test with codec or specific formats, so time will tell.
You can have it good, fast or inexpensive. Pick two.