FORUMS: list search recent posts

best Compression to send 5D (or similar) footage over Dropbox, re-encode/edit, then encode for Youtube

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chip Yamada
best Compression to send 5D (or similar) footage over Dropbox, re-encode/edit, then encode for Youtube
on Nov 18, 2014 at 10:57:54 pm

Hi all! is my subject line too long? sorry.

I am having shooters send me their footage from a touring event, trying to transfer the footage (30gigs) and turnaround the clip by next morning, I've tried a number of different techniques.
In the case where the files are large and internet speed is slow, I want to know what the best compression preset is for making the file small enough to move across DropBox quickly. I will then re-encode to 422 for edit, then send to Compressor->Youtube HD 10,000kbps

for clarity:
best Compression for moving files quickly, files are going to be re-encoded to 422, edited, then Compressed to H.264 Youtube settings.

Anyone have an answer?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: best Compression to send 5D (or similar) footage over Dropbox, re-encode/edit, then encode for Youtube
on Nov 20, 2014 at 3:48:40 pm

Given your timetable why even transcode to ProRes422? Once you dumb down the footage to move across Dropbox (I'm assuming h.264 for that) you'll just cost yourself valuable time having to re-transcode all that footage to 422, and with little to no advantage (unless your system can't edit h.264). Most modern NLE's can handle h.264 directly - PPro 2014, FCPX.

Have them transcode to a "high" bit rate h.264 (20mbps? 30mbps?), upload to Dropbox, use that to edit, and output your YouTube master. If they are shooting on DSLR's the footage is already h.264 so just have them upload that straight away (and that's typically at ~45mbps).

The only other option is for your shooters to offload media to a drive and overnight footage to you (or send you the CF/SD card). But that may not work if you're aiming for next day master delivery....

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]