FORUMS: list search recent posts

Understanding Rendering and Encoding Bottlenecks

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Nivison
Understanding Rendering and Encoding Bottlenecks
on Oct 22, 2014 at 11:42:22 pm

I would like to know of a good resource (free or paid) where I can learn the ins and outs of rendering. I use premiere pro and render with adobe media encoder. I've mindlessly rendered video for the past 5 years using the necessary specs, but have never learned what, exactly, is going on. I want to make the process as speedy as possible with the equipment I have and would also like to know where to make upgrades in the future. I have a MacBook Pro 13" running Yosemite with 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600MHx DDR3 Memory, Solid State Drive and external USB 3 Lacie Quadra Raid Drive that all my projects and media sit on. Adobe CC 2014.1.
I want to understand the process and how to pinpoint and remedy bottlenecks.

Anyone know of a great resource specific to this precise topic.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Understanding Rendering and Encoding Bottlenecks
on Oct 27, 2014 at 1:53:13 pm

The short answer is no, I don't have a concise reference to recommend.

The general topic consists of three main components: rendering in the NLE, compression with an encoder and codec, and resource constraint analysis of the computer hardware.

NLE Rendering: There are some good discussions at adobe.com and related blogs, but they tend to focus on individual effects. I found a great article on the overall rendering pipeline and how bit depth and color space affect results, but it won't necessarily help you with hardware constraint analysis.

Compression: These discussions tend to be codec-centric. There are numerous books available. Ben Waggoner is a noted author in the field.

Hardware: I am familiar with the PC side, but there are certainly resources available for Apple systems. The general approach is to monitor your computer in real time using system software to identify hardware bottlenecks. Most of the business occurs in the CPU; the other components (memory, storage, GPU, I/O) only become an issue when a problem exists, such as insufficient memory, slow response (especially spindle hard disks and older I/O like USB2), full disk, etc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Nivison
Re: Understanding Rendering and Encoding Bottlenecks
on Oct 28, 2014 at 3:06:51 pm

Excellent. That gives me a great place to start. Thank you for taking the time to share this information.

You said "I found a great article on the overall rendering pipeline and how bit depth and color space affect results..."

Do you happen to have a link to that article?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]