FORUMS: list search recent posts

AME AVC mp4s don't display first frame in QT Player 7 - funky behavior not seen in QT Player X

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Coleman
AME AVC mp4s don't display first frame in QT Player 7 - funky behavior not seen in QT Player X
on Oct 16, 2014 at 4:26:11 pm

I've compressed an mp4 H.264/AVC file in AME. The video looks great especially compared to the same bitrate and size of the Squeeze Main Concept equivalent (and I do mean WAAAAAY better).

However, when played in QT Player 7.6.4 the first frame shows as black instead of the first frame of the video. When you hit play it does start at first frame, but appears as a sort of jump cut from the frame it had displayed to the first frame of the video. When you've played it for a few seconds and stop and try and take it back to the start of the movie, it will never get to the first frame even though the counter says "00:00:00". Hence, another jumpy looking start when trying to play it using this method.

This behavior is not seen in QT Player X.

What is wrong with the movie file created by AME and how can it be fixed?

I've tried this test on two different Mac computers noted below.

MacBookPro 17" (2008)
Mt Lion 10.8.5
QT Player 7.6.4
QT Version 7.7.1
QT Player 10.2

Mac Pro (Late 2013)
Mavericks 10.9.4
QT Player 7.6.6
QT Version 7.7.3
QT Player 10.3
Squeeze 9.03.11
AME CC 7.2.2.29

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: AME AVC mp4s don't display first frame in QT Player 7 - funky behavior not seen in QT Player X
on Oct 18, 2014 at 1:27:37 am

Sounds more like a problem with QT. Have you played the file in any other media players - MPEG Streamclip, VLC, Flip player, Cineplay (an iOS media player), etc.

I don't trust QT7 for too many things. It has quite a few bugs and sometimes displays the beginnings of my videos incorrectly too. Confirm other media players produce the same result before blaming AME.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]