FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need help, please. Project is due soon

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Eastman
Need help, please. Project is due soon
on Sep 13, 2014 at 10:12:16 pm

Hi, Everyone

First time user on thi site, so I didn't know whether to post here, DVD Authoring, or DSLR Video forum...

My situation: I have two types of footage I need to edit for a wedding DVD that is due to my friend on her birthday, the 27th of September. The footage is from a Nikon D7100 and footage from a Sanyo Xacti fh1a.

The D7100 footage: .mov h264 1080p 29.97 FPS
The Xacti footage: mp4 h264 1080 60fields/sec

I'm editing using Final Cut Express 4 on my MacBook 4.1 2.4Ghz 4GB RAM; Snow Leopard 10.6.8

The Mp4 file plays back choppy on my laptop, even after five hours of rendering the footage in FCE4 on my timeline.

I was told I need to get the mp4 footage transcoded into .mov h264 to match my D7100 footage. How do I do this?
I have access to Media Encoder at school on their iMacs. I just need to know what settings to do. My trial run today with Media Encoder was a bust; wasted three hours at the computer lab.

I need to get this mp4 footage into a workable format that my laptop at home can handle, because right now these render times are killing me, and I'm half finished with my project and only two weeks to finish.

Once I have finished my FCE4 edit at 1920x1080, I need to know how to export from FCE4 so I have a file of worthy quality so that I take it into media Encoder at school and burn a DVD for the bride.. Suggestions for the best results?

Thank you for your time and reading my post. I really appreciate the help from you seasoned vets.

Regards,
B Eastman

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
Re: Need assistance, please. Project is due soon
on Sep 14, 2014 at 2:21:00 pm

Try transcoding the source footage and editing with an intermediate codec like ProRes. Perform a short test with two or three clips to see if it makes a difference.

Return to posts index

Brandon Eastman
on Sep 14, 2014 at 3:22:14 pm

So I take the mp4 clips into Media Encoder and transcode to Pro Res... this is for smoother editing I take it?

But which Pro Res preset do I use? I have multiple options in Media Encoder (ie PR 422 HQ, LT, 444, etc)

Once I edit in FCE4 with a Pro Res file, do you have a suggestion as to which export settings I do( or attempt to do) from Final Cut?

Then, after I have exported my final edit, which program do I take the file into for the DVD burn? I have access to iDVD at home, and at school I can do Compressor, Media Encoder, or Adobe Encore....

Thank you for your guidance,

B Eastman

Return to posts index

Ivan Myles
on Sep 14, 2014 at 6:46:39 pm
Last Edited By Ivan Myles on Sep 14, 2014 at 6:56:38 pm

ProRes 422 should be fine for ingestion and export to generate a master file for encoding the DVD. Export with ProRes 422 HQ if you want greater pixel depth (10-bit) when porting a file for additional processing (such as color correction or composite effects).

I don't have any comments regarding DVD software. Create a short file to test the different options. Ultimately, be sure to play a burned DVD disc in a stand-alone player to ensure the final deliverable is OK.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 15, 2014 at 1:12:26 am

[Brandon Eastman] "ut which Pro Res preset do I use? I have multiple options in Media Encoder (ie PR 422 HQ, LT, 444, etc)"

With the cameras you've shot at transcoding to anything over ProRes(LT) is just using up hard drive space on your system. You'll see no visual benefits to the higher flavors of ProRes. If you plan on creating graphics or titles, then as Ivan suggests you could export those as ProRes or ProRes(HQ). But your source material is fine at ProRes(LT).

[Brandon Eastman] "Then, after I have exported my final edit, which program do I take the file into for the DVD burn? I have access to iDVD at home, and at school I can do Compressor, Media Encoder, or Adobe Encore...."

iDVD/DVD Studio Pro/Adobe Encore = DVD authoring program
Compressor/Media Encoder = encoding/transcoding programs

Generally speaking, you take your final sequence from FCE and export out a master ProRes file in Quicktime format. Then you take that file and stick it into the transcoding programs to create your DVD assets (there are presets in either program to get you moving). Take those assets and put them into the appropriate DVD authoring program, build your menus, and burn your disc. This approach provides for more control but will take you longer and have to go through multiple apps.

Or you can take your final sequence from FCE and export out a master ProRes file and then take that file and put it directly into the DVD authoring program. All the DVD authoring programs listed above can automatically transcode your file into the appropriate DVD format. It's your choice. This provides for a faster workflow with less control.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Brandon Eastman
on Sep 21, 2014 at 11:38:26 pm

"Generally speaking, you take your final sequence from FCE and export out a master ProRes file in Quicktime format."

I don't see a ProRes selection in Final Cut Express... This is what I ended up doing:

I just finished editing my friend's wedding video in Final Cut Express 4. The footage I edited with was 1920x1080p 30fps...

When I finished with the edit, I exported with QT conversion: h264 mov NTSC 720x480 4:3, multi pass encode, key frame (automatic), frame rate current

Is this ntsc 720x480 4:3 .mov the proper format to be bringing into Media Encoder so that I may create an mpeg2(m2v) file so that I may burn a DVD?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:00:56 am

[Brandon Eastman] "I don't see a ProRes selection in Final Cut Express..."

I'm sorry...for some reason I missed this in your original post. FCE can decode ProRes (I think), but it can't encode it upon export. You'd need to step up to Final Cut Pro (6/7 or X).

If you want to deliver 4:3 SD then you picked the right format. If you want to deliver 16:9 SD then you need to export the sequence as Anamorphic (with non-square pixies in a Pixel Aspect Ratio of 1.2121). You shouldn't need to go to h.264 and then to MPEG-2. If possible go straight from your timeline to MPEG-2 (this cuts out the middleman so to speak). You may want to export a master of some sort that you can save and reuse in the future, and MPEG-2 is not a good format for that.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Brandon Eastman
on Sep 22, 2014 at 10:15:25 am

Unfortunately, mpeg2 is not an option to select straight from Final Cut Express...

Thanks again for the help, Everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]