FORUMS: list search recent posts

Media Encoder horizontally stretching and cropping off sides

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Angle
Media Encoder horizontally stretching and cropping off sides
on Sep 10, 2014 at 1:35:36 am

When stretching material from 4x3 to 16x9 in Premiere and sending over to Media Encoder, the rendered file is often horizontally stretched out an additional 5-10 percent than what originally shows on my timeline. Basically stretches it out and cuts off the sides slightly. If the same video is rendered directly from premiere with the same settings, the additional stretch does not occur. Have also noticed that things that are successfully masked out using the mask tracking feature in Premiere, don't always stay completely masked out in the media encoder render but are fine when rendered from Premiere. This only happens on some of the 4x3 material that I am needing to stretch out to fill a 16x9 frame. Can anybody offer any suggestions to what might be happening here?

Cutting Apple Pro Res 422 on Premiere CC 2014 and exporting in Media Encoder as MXF OP1A AVC Intra Class50 60i. Have also seen the error in h264 proxy renders.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Richard Angle

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
Re: Media Encoder horizontally stretching and cropping off sides
on Sep 11, 2014 at 2:52:49 pm

Pixel Aspect Ratio is the first thing that comes to mind to check. Moving from non-square pixels to square pixels (or anamorphic non-square pixels, not sure if you're moving from SD to HD) can cause problems.

Also when you're in the export settings window take a look just above the render preview window and you should notice a small drop down menu called "Source Scaling:" That gives you options like Scale to Fit, Scale to Fill, and Stretch to Fill. Often times I've seen people move between pixel aspect ratios and not take into consideration how they want the encoder to deal with the scaling that results.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Sep 13, 2014 at 5:07:08 pm

Thanks for the response Ryan. I'm pretty sure that it isn't a settings issue, but a bug with either Premiere or ME. Again, the timeline renders as expected when exporting directly from Premiere. It only adds the stretch when exporting through Media Encoder. And unfortunately, I need to use ME daily for batch encodes of segmented material.

And to add to the confusion, I realized yesterday that when adding a "handshake" .dpx file from Photoshop to the top layer of my timeline, the stretch did not occur at that exact point where the still masked photo was used. I'm really scratching my head on this one.

My work-around is to do a horizontal inward "pre-render-squeeze" to the material to compensate for the stretching that I know will occur. It does the trick but somehow I don't feel that this is the best utilization of the compression CODEC as some of the data is lost in the blacks on each side of the frame.

I'm a bit frustrated with not being able to trust that my program monitor is a true representation of what ME decides to spit out in the end. Masks often end up outside of their original boundaries and video inconsistently gets stretched. It undoubtedly has something to do with the blow up and stretch out form 720x486 to 1920x1080, but this is unfortunately something that needs to be done to these specs.

Thanks for your suggestions and any more you might think of would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Angle

Return to posts index

Richard Angle
on Sep 20, 2014 at 2:27:38 am

Problem Resolved.

Disabled "Enable Native Premiere Pro Sequence Import" in General Preferences. Still testing but so far, so good.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]