FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm trying to encode quicktime 1080i 29.98 Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) files to 1080i/59.97 OP1a AVCI in an MXF Wrapper files with varying degrees of success...

COW Forums : Adobe Media Encoder

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Escher
I'm trying to encode quicktime 1080i 29.98 Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) files to 1080i/59.97 OP1a AVCI in an MXF Wrapper files with varying degrees of success...
on Feb 24, 2012 at 4:02:15 pm

Hi All,

I have client that has two nuts for me to crack.

One is to convert some pool tournament footage (dunno what type of camera they where shot on but I think it is a Panasonic Studio camera with memory cards) that had the original material out of the camera converted on the fly by a box (manufacturer and capabilities unknown) and into FCP 7 for live multicam editing to a "semi finished" product. My client and I are supposed to take that edit and massage it for broadcast. So far, so good... But he is selling internationally and his clients (the first is in Canada) doesn't want the deliverable final edit that we will cut in quicktime of any flavor. They want to take the quicktime 1080i 29.98 Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) files that I am having delivered to me to edit and have the finished edit file/files in 1080i/59.97 OP1a AVCI in an MXF Wrapper.

I am pretty certain that I can't get that straight out of the FCP 7 Export choices and even though I haven't played with Compressor at all (damn thing wants to crash ALL the time). I have found some third party solutions for direct import and export from FCP (http://home.mxf4mac.com/products/) but they want 600 euros for it and the sale to canada might not make that a super viable option to purchase this single software solution this point, at least until we find out what the other countries want.

I actually never touch compressor anymore since I discovered the joys of Media Encoder (i.e. it seems to be more powerful and has yet to crash on my mac tower) and even though I don't have any of their original 1080i 29.98 Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) files to mess around with, I did play with some content that I am using for a TV show sizzle reel concept that was shot on Panasonic cameras at 720p and converted to quicktime.

In my very first attempt to convert the 720p stuff I was able to get a frame rate compromised version of a OP1a MXF file (very stuttery, looks as if it is playing back at 15 or 12 frames a second) that I was able to review with the VLC player for mac. Dunno if I am seeing it as the client will see it on their Avid/Premier/Vegas system or whatever they are using, but I can see this even without playing back on the VLC player, the file went from about 5 gigs in quicktime down to a little over 1 gig in the conversion...

Anyhow, can I use Encoder to do to convert quicktime 1080i 29.98 Apple Pro Res 422 (HQ) files to 1080i/59.97 OP1a AVCI in an MXF Wrapper files? And if I can, what sort of tweaks to I need to make it work properly. When I look at the 720p test file that I referred to above in the cue line in Encoder, it appears that after I choose to convert to MXF OP1a, I still have lots and lots of other pulldown menue choices, everything from "DV 25 NTSC" to "XDCAMHD 50 NTSC (4:2:2)" but nothing regarding AVCI.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I thought of trying AE to do the same thing, but thought that the workflow on Encoder would be easier to use.

BTW, the second nut that I want to crack is how to make this easier in the future and not kluge this each time. Create a real workflow where I can deliver our re-edits in any flavor Canada, Japan, Singapore, or Khartoum wants it. I have a nice powerful mac tower about two years old with Snow Leopard running on it with 16gb of RAM and a Kona LHe card and breakout box on it if that makes any difference or helps me out.

Any thoughts oh gurus of Media Encoder?

Thanks!

Michael Escher

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]