FORUMS: list search recent posts

Connectivity Question

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
foxkitsinc
Connectivity Question
on May 19, 2006 at 10:38:28 pm

I am new to the board and to video editing. I am working on a project to make training videos for my company and I have built a computer sytem and gotten some freebees from a friend who has upgraded his system.

I was given a RT2500 card for analog capture but when I tried to install it - man! What a mess. The good news is that I read on your site that I may not even need it.

I built a system using the ASUS P5AD2-E with a 3.2G processor, 2G RAM, GeForce 6600 video card, 80G / 7200rpm SATA sys drive, 160G / 7200rpm SATA video drive, DVD / CD "everything" drive and twin AL1714 LCDs.

I've gotten the system built and running with WinXP Home and Premiere 6.5 but I am trying to figure out how to connect my cameras and a television monitor in the smartest manner. If I connect the cameras via a 1394/DV cable how do I get sound to the computer? If I go without the additional analog hook-up that comes by using the RT2500 how can I connect a TV monitor to watch playback?

I appreciate any help. Thanks

Return to posts index

Dev
Re: Connectivity Question
by
on May 20, 2006 at 6:30:41 pm

You are correct, you may not even need the analog capture card if all your footage is on DV.

Connecting your cameras via 1394 is really the only choice for DV as far as I know (heard some are doing it through USB 2.0, but I've never done it or seen it done). In regards to getting the sound to the computer, the firewire connection will transmit the audio to the computer along with the video.

To set up an external monitor can be done several ways. I only know two.
1. While editing keep your camera hooked up and use it as a pass-through to send the signal to a monitor (provided Premiere outputs the signal through firewire, I know Avid does).
2. Use the TV out option available on most newer video cards. (again, provided premiere sends the signal to it, I'm told the nVidia Quadro 540 does this nicely.)
Good Luck!
Dev

Return to posts index

foxkitsinc
Thanks
on May 20, 2006 at 6:56:25 pm

Thanks Dev,

I didn't realize that the Firewire sent both audio and video. That solves that problem!

I have two cameras. My little JVC GR-D200U came with a USB 2.0 cable and I have used that successfully to get footage and sound to the computer - I guess that should have been a hint that Firewire would do the same, only better.

I will try the camera method to view on my TV monitor. The documentation with my GeForce 6600 says that only two of the outputs on the card can be active at one time. Since I am running dual monitors that leaves the S-Video Out port disabled. I tried hooking to it before I read the materials fully and wondered why it didn't work. Duh, always read first! Confused Good thing my specialty is wilderness survival and not computers! Wink

Thanks
BK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]