FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need Help Editing Feature Film Off Of Panasonic HVX-200,

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
matthewkuborn
Need Help Editing Feature Film Off Of Panasonic HVX-200,
on May 15, 2006 at 12:39:55 am

Hello, I was recently contracted to cut a feature film that is now being shot on the Panasonic HVX-200 with an adaptor for 35mm lenses. They are shooting to multiple 8gb p2 cards and dumping them on set. Now, they are takeing these cards and dumping them to an external Maxtor 600gb USB 2.0 drive via a PC laptop. Now the A.C. working on the show who has been relegated this task has never worked a feature before and has defiantly not worked with the P2 workflow, for that matter he isn’t really that computer literate. (He’s an awesome guy it’s just that he’s camera dept. and not a post/tech guy). Here is my first prob. they are using Avid on set to view the footage off of the laptop. So according to the DP they have to keep all of the footage contained in a single root directory(contents) folder on the root of the drive. SO, the A.C. had been instructed to simply open the p2 cards and copy the video to the existing video file in the master contents file in the root of the disk… so on and so forth with all of the folder, clip, audio, and icon (as far as I can tell nothing is in the proxy or voice files). They have completely disregarded all of the LASTCLIP.TXT files from each card as they felt they are unnecessary. This brings me to question #1

1.) What does the LASTCLIP.TXT do? Feel free to be overly complicated, technical etc. Any details to its purpose? No one seems to know.
2.) Can a LASTCLIP.TXT file be created for the above- described amalgamation of 25 days of shooting into ONE contents folder? How?

So, I get all of these files on a Windows drive that my G5 can only read and not write to. There are a lot, A LOT, of discrepancies, this brings me to a few P2 questions and a F.C.P. question. (I am running FCP 5.0.4, QTime 7.0.4 and Tiger 10.4.6)

1.) Am I correct in assuming that the clip files are references that some how link the correspondingly named files in the video, audio, and icon folders?
2.) If I am editing in FCP and missing clip files can I use the video files in the video directory? Is there any third party software that can help me solve this issue?
3.) MOST IMPORTANT – In FCP, if I go to import from Panasonic P2 and chose the above described master contents directory and arrange the clips by name then go to the clip directory and open it next to the import window and also arrange it by name should both window’s items alphabetically match and have the exact same titles in both windows? More concisely why would I have clip files that do now appear in the import window?
4.) Is there Avid HD for Mac that edits the native MXF video? How does it Sync with the video? How does it all work Basil?
5.) WTF does FCP not natively edit MXF, I don’t want to have to cut this in avid, but I could… I would just have to purchase something I assume… I have Xpress Pro 4.8.1, what version for Mac has the native MXF capability?

If you can help me with ANY of these issues I’d love to give you a technical post advisement credit. It’s a $40,000 indie flick with at least DVD distribution (maybe theatrical? Haha) so its worth your time to answer maybe? I’ll bare your children? Leave your name and what email if you want some kind of credit, Thank you so much for reading all that and in advance for any replies.)

Return to posts index

Mark 05403
Lost lastclip.txt files for P2
on Aug 10, 2006 at 2:45:28 pm

Hi Matthew,
I have some of the same issues.
It sounds like you can edit the mxf files without the lastclip.txt with Avid. Is that correct? If so, that would at least make my files accessible.
Mark

Return to posts index

matthewkuborn
Re: Need Help Editing Feature Film Off Of Panasonic HVX-200,
on Aug 10, 2006 at 3:58:45 pm

Yup all you need if raw MXF's for avid... and for the most part you dont need the txt file in FCP, despite what people tell you.

Return to posts index

Mark 05403
How do I load a file into FCP without the txt file?
on Aug 10, 2006 at 4:58:01 pm

How do I load an mxf file into FCP w/o the txt file. I am a newbie to both mxf files and to fcp. I have the latest version, but I'm pretty lost.
Mark

Return to posts index

Mark 05403
I finally got the mxf s loaded into fcp
on Aug 18, 2006 at 2:02:35 am

Hi,
I finally got my files into FCP. There is a video tutorial on how to import files from the P2 card onto the desktop, and then from the desktop into FCP (on creative cow) : http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_page_wrapper.cgi?forumid=1&pa...

There was also an instruction on how to rebuild the txt files that I read somewhere:
The txt file is only three lines.
First line: open the contents folder, open the video folder. Copy the name of the last clip you filmed: "0018E" or something like that. Don't include the .mxf at the end.
Second line is always: 1.0
Third line: Count the number of clips on the card, add 1 and that is the number for the third line. This is a little iffy because on one card I had four clips and the number was 20. I had filmed 19 clips that day, but they weren't all on that P2 card, so you might have to count all the clips you have filmed since the last time you turned on your camera.)

If you have renamed your contents folder you have to go back and rename it CONTENTS again. The txt file has to be named LASTCLIP.txt every time as well. Put both of those files into one folder and name it whatever you want, but keep those files together. Then follow the instructions in the video and you are golden.

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]