FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID ON AN AMD?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
NoSoliciting.TV
AVID ON AN AMD?
on May 5, 2006 at 4:46:46 pm

I would really like to build an AMD workstation for AVID editing, but I am hesitant to do so, because I have not found ANY vendors offering an AMD solution for AVID only based video editing...
Does anyone out there run AVID on a Dual core AMD? I want to use the
AMD ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ for the workstation I am going to build. Would it be better to build a workstation built around a similarly equipped INTEL based chip for my AVID only based editing needs?
What about Hyperthreading? Can the AMD do the equivalent with AVID in mind?

Return to posts index

Dev
Re: AVID ON AN AMD?
by
on May 19, 2006 at 9:34:18 pm

Good question. I am in the same boat, I am currently looking to run Avid on an AMD dual core machine. Whether or not the latest Avid Xpress Pro & Pro HD will work well with a dual core AMD is a mystery to me.

My intuition says that if you have enough good ram (DDR 400+, 1GB+) and fast hard drives (7200 SATA, RAID 0) and your processor is reasonably fast, then you should be okay.

However, I will offer that I have had Avid Xpress DV running on an Athlon XP 2000+ (1.67gHz) machine with no problems.

Return to posts index

NoSoliciting.TV
AVID ON AMD?
on May 21, 2006 at 10:37:48 pm

THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

I am actually now leaning towards building an over clocked Intel system with a water cooling unit to keep CPU temps down.

Here is an article about the system I plan on building:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/05/10/dual_41_ghz_cores/page14.html

I started you off on the page that has the system parts listing, but the whole article is pretty interesting. It is a long one though...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]