FORUMS: list search recent posts

Choosing CPU

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kenc
Choosing CPU
by
on May 3, 2006 at 8:42:51 am

I'm ready to build my D.I.Y.4 but a little hesitant in which CPU to use.
Would the Intel 840 out perform the Intel 940 as the 840 is an Extreme edition hence hyper-threading, where as the 940 does not. Both are 3.2 Ghz and both have 800 FSB. Then again the 940 is 65 technology as against 90 for the 840, and has 2x2 cache as against 2x1 for the 840.
Please any advise on best option would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Choosing CPU
on May 3, 2006 at 3:51:30 pm

good question.

My answer is price v performance

The more cache the better. Having hyper-threading is better than not having it. Now you're asking cache v hyper-threading... I think HT wins BUT at what cost. If it only renders your videos or encodes your videos a small percentage quicker.. then the more expensive CPU is not worth the cost.

I have dual core... when I encode a 2 hour video to DVD; I hit start at the end of the day and wake up the next morning all made (I hope so ). So could I care if it would do it 5-15% quicker... probably not. When i render a video and it saves me a few seconds to a minute... not enough to spend $600 more. It would be cheaper to buy good fast ram.

my 2 cents

Return to posts index

kenc
Choosing CPU
by
on May 4, 2006 at 7:13:50 am

Thanks LeeAVP,

Thats a good point as I would run the the program over night as well.
I live downunder in OZ and Intel CPU have just fallen in price hence my query. Prices 840 $505 (Aus), 940 $373 and the 950 is $483 leaving little difference in price.
Still the question which is the best performer for editing.

kenc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]