WinXP Profile Specifically For Video Editing

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pi
WinXP Profile Specifically For Video Editing
by
on Apr 26, 2006 at 10:11:20 am

Hi All,

My first post on this forum, but I'm a regular at [url=http://www.videohelp.com]VideoHelp - someone there recommended this site for a specific need I have...

I've had a look around, but the keywords I can think of using are too generic and so are returning results that don't apply. Hence this post...

I'm wanting to create a profile such that, when I log on using it, only the absolute minimum processes are started up - leaving as much system resources free as possible for editing and encoding.

I considered using "HijackThis" to delete registry entries for things that auto-start across all profiles, but that would also mean that other profiles won't have them starting - and killing my firewall / virus protection and the such like isn't a good idea.

I'm running 1Gb of RAM - when I close unnecessary processes in Task Manager (firewall, Skype, Yahoo etc.) I see that the "Mem usage" in Task Manager for Premiere Pro (when rendering), or my encoder (when encoding) jumps from around 40 - 50,000 up to the likes of 110,000. Surely that's gotta be a good thing?

In short, I'm looking to create a profile which, once logged on, only has the bare minimum of applications and services launched - no firewall auto-starting etc.

So - does anyone know how I can set such a profile up?

Return to posts index

ssvp
Re: WinXP Profile Specifically For Video Editing
by
on Apr 29, 2006 at 7:00:35 am

Short Answer, "Can't"

Windows Profile is for hardware only, as in turn off specific hardware devices depending on the profile chosen.

You can however do the following:

Disable all your startups
Click Start
Click Run
Type msconfig
Hit Enter
Then click the Startup tab and turn off everything you don't need.

Once done.. On to the next step and it involved GOOGLE.

Just google for "Windows XP Tweaks Services" you should run across some pages that show and tell which services you can shutoff safely that you may or may not be using.

Other than that, add a gig of ram..Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]