FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY4 Update 4/21 - Much more info

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY4 Update 4/21 - Much more info
on Apr 21, 2006 at 7:52:01 pm

DIY4 is now posted. It is not completely finished.

We were unable to complete our official benchmark testing for both machines. Basically we're having to create our own tests for Avid Xpress & Squeeze. Since we want these tests to be doqnloadable and available for you to try on your own NLE workstation, we're having to be real careful here.

The Vegas test is a killer - and we have reports of many folks crashing at the end. We're trying to get witht hte folks at VASST and figure out why, or throttle back that portion ogf the test.

We're really excited about the Liquid test Joe at Planet DV is putting together. It'll test several areas of Liquid including GPU. So it's going to be worth the wait.

I am off to the NAB show in Vegas. Jon will continue working on the benchmark tests while I'm gone. The article itself is finished, so I have posted it for you guys to read. We've updated the pricing for the configs and made some changes to my planned Liquid Vaporizer and Big Red. Big Red (Dual Dual-core AMD) will be built and used to run the new Matrox RT.X2.

Here it is DIY4 http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

GAry

Return to posts index

Skip Gaede
More info needed
on Apr 24, 2006 at 4:25:10 pm

I've been watching the DIY4 progress, and awaiting the article with much interest. I'm sad that article, almost two months late, is so short on details. Within the past month I decided to build the Green machine (AMD), and I must say that I had a few build issues with the A8N-SLI Premium board. I hoped they would be covered in the article to help other builders.

Here are the two problem areas that I think ought to be covered.

1) use and configuration of the RAID controllers

2) understanding and updating the NVIDIA chipset / RAID / Graphics drivers.

When I assembled my system, I didn't understand which set of SATA connections on the board were handled by the NVIDIA chip and which were controlled by the Silicon Image chip. I also did not understand that only the NVIDIA chip could be used for non-RAID drives.

I upgraded my RAID drivers to the latest set, but then had shut down problems because the core NVIDIA drivers needed to be upgraded also. I find the NVIDIA software a little confusing, and it isn't always clear what the dependencies are.

I must say that once the details were resolved that the system has been working great, and is about 50% faster than the DIY1 machine we built almost two years ago.

My partner and I do video editing on multiple machines, and we have standardized on removable SATA drives (currently 200GB) as the method of choice for working on multiple projects on multiple machines in multiple offices.

I'm still waiting to see more details about the benchmarks. It's nice to hear AMD wins and wins and wins, but some benchmarks comparing the DIY4 configs with DIY1, DIY2 and DIY3 would also be nice.

Keep up the good work.

Return to posts index

kenc
Re: DIY4 Update 4/21 - Much more info
by
on May 18, 2006 at 8:35:11 am

When are we getting the final cut on DIY. 4?
Starting to get a little ancious. Relise that you have had a busy shedule but! Maybe we wait for DIY 5.

Return to posts index

Eric Freitag
on May 18, 2006 at 8:28:55 pm

Yeah really... I've already been waiting since January. I might as well wait another 2 months for Core 2 Duo at this point. (DIY 5?)
Might have to wing the build slightly, but shouldn't have to stray too far as most current 975x motherboards will get a refresh to support the new chip.
I'm really considering the Intel "badaxe" motherboard right now.
I keep hearing such great things about it, especially stability wise.
Was there any reason this motherboard was not considered for DIY 4? (price?)

Return to posts index

Ollie Rainbird
on Jun 1, 2006 at 9:02:16 pm

Does anyone know if mojo has been made to work successfully with DIY4 based machines? How about mojo and external storage?

Ollie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]