FORUMS: list search recent posts

DV Camcorder w/ Analog to digital pass through Recommends?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter
DV Camcorder w/ Analog to digital pass through Recommends?
on Apr 12, 2006 at 4:06:24 am

hey all. i've been making video since 1980 and have a ton of vhs 8 mm and hi 8 tapes that i'd like to tranf to dvd. i currently have a 6 yr old sony hi 8 camcorder and have been thinking about getting a new dv camcorder so that i can utilize the [size=18:bdb36c3df7]analog to digital pass through capability that some dv camcorders have by feeding the output from the vhs or 8mm deck through the dv camcorder into the computer using firewire and thence transferring onto dvds.
can anyone recommend a dv camcorder that they have used for this purpose or are aware of ones that can. i'd really appreciate some advice.
thanks
peter

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: DV Camcorder w/ Analog to digital pass through Recommend
on Apr 12, 2006 at 4:21:39 pm

Hi pvmay3

What you've mentioned about using the Analog to Digital pass through is a very good idea. In fact, most modern camcorders do indeed have such capabilities.

Here are some of my thoughts:

1) A typical MiniDV camcorder from Canon or Sony will definitely have this pass through capability.

2) You should take note that there is some loss from the TV to the camcorder.

3) Also, when transfering to your computer, you need to use a Firewire card to make sure there is sufficient transfer speed.

If you want to find out more, you can read the following articles:
- [url=http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/top-10-digital-camcorders-under-600.html]Top 10 digital camcorders in the market (under $600)
- [url=http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/capture-video.html]How To Capture Video Into Your Computer

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DV Camcorder w/ Analog to digital pass through Recommends?
on Apr 13, 2006 at 1:55:11 am

We would recommend you get an inexpensive AV?DV converter link the ADS Pyro AV Link. For $149.95 it will allow you to input analog video into your computer via firewire.

ADS AV Link API-555 Now with Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0
This new bundle includes the ADS AV Link AV/DV media converter and Adobe's new Premiere Elements2.0 video editing software.

The AV Link requires that your have a FireWire port on your computer. It attaches to your computer or laptop via FireWire and allows you to capture and export footage from any VHS, S-VHS, 8mm of Hi8 camcorder or deck. In addition to basic composite (RCA) and S-Video jacks, it also includes Component video input & output. Premiere Elements 2.0 is Adobe's re-entry into the consumer video editing market. Elements 2.0 has a more advanced toolset than any other consumer NLE and it is pretty easy to use - thanks to the Context-sensitive How-Tos that help guide you through every step of the editing process, from transferring footage to burning DVDs.

http://www.videoguys.com/pyroAVlink.html

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]