FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY4 Update 4/11/06 : AMD WINS!!! AMD WINS!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY4 Update 4/11/06 : AMD WINS!!! AMD WINS!!!
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:09:15 pm

OK guys, we've been running the benchmarks and the results are pretty clear - AMD wins. We went back and tweaked the heck out of the Pentium Dual Core machine to try and catch the AMD, but we couldn't get the same results.

Now let me be clear - both machines have performed fantastic in our own editing tests. I can recommend both configs to you with complete confidence. But, I have to admit that we did notice that the AMD machine always seemd to be a bit quicker and more responsive. It wasn;t somehting we could measure, it was just the feel we had when we worked on each machine.

When we ran the benchmarksthe AMD machine consistantly outperformed the Intel machines. At the Intel Developer Forum (IDF Spring 2006) Intel demonstrated some new technology that many speculate will put them ahead of AMD once again. We certainly would like to see Intel back in the game, but as of today, AMD is our top choice.

We've also been testing the new Matrox Axio LE board which requires dual dual-core processors for optimal results. This project is one of the main reasons why our DIY4 article has been delayed. Testing this revolutionary new hardware was and is a top priority for us. We ran it in our DIY3 dual Xeon machine, but I know we can do better. So I've been working with Matrox on the ideal config for Axio LE. We've decided to call this machine"Big Red" and it's basically the optimal hardware config for running the new Matrox real-time technology. I've added this config to this page.

The full article along with the benchmark tests we ran will be posted shortly. http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

Gary

Return to posts index

Wesley Cardone
Re: DIY4 Update 4/11/06 : AMD WINS!!! AMD WINS!!!
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:41:10 pm

I think that the really good news is the very fact that this fierce competition exists between AMD and Intel to win a never-ending race.

Just imagine if we had somebody competing with Microsoft... We probably would have had the equivalent of WinXP-64 already last year.

Return to posts index

cappa84
on Apr 12, 2006 at 3:24:21 am

Just like I predicted Razz

I'd love to have an Athlon X2 system, I'm pretty much an AMD fanboy lol.

But with Intel’s massive price cuts on April 23rd (the D940 is gonna get a near 50% chop), I might have to opt for a Intel system this time around till either Intel Conroe is well priced and available, or AMD releases a quad core CPU Razz

Also, for the Videoguy, did you guys consider using Nvidia Geforce 7900GT in SLI (or single)? Awesome card and well priced…or maybe even a 7600GT, which is way cheaper then 1800XT and very similar in performance…anyways, just a suggestion Wink

Keep up the good work!

Looking forward to the article Wink

Return to posts index

rbradleyc
on Apr 14, 2006 at 1:00:28 pm

Videoguys,
I built an Intel system similar to yours with the exeption of the Mobo. I used the ASUS P5WD2e Premium. I have found a conflict with Avid Free DV and the on board Realtek sound. Did you find the same with your system, and if you did, what did you do to workaround? I have tried some of the suggestions on the Avid forums, but had no luck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 14, 2006 at 6:20:46 pm

We are aware of the realtek audio conflict. It effects Avid Free DV and Avid Xpress DV. Xpress Pro 5.x fixes the problem.

You can disable the realtek audio and add a third party sound card like a soundblaster

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]