FORUMS: list search recent posts

Needs advice on building a not quite DIY4 system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
talsy
Needs advice on building a not quite DIY4 system
on Apr 7, 2006 at 3:11:38 am

Hi everyone and Videoguys,

Due to budget constrains, I can't quite build a system exactly like one of the DIY4s, but I'm wondering if this would work for a starter or if there are any potential problems.

Asus P5wd2-premium
Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz
System Drive: Western Digital 160G 7200 JS SATAII 8mb
Video Drive: One Western Digital 250G 7200 KS SATAII 16mb
Kingston ValueRam 1GB PC4300 DDR2 Memory x2
ASPIRE X-CRUISE-BL/420 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower w/ 420W PS
PNY Quadro FX540 128MB PCIe

I am an amateur wanting to get more serious with video editing. I will be running Premiere Pro 2.0 mainly, perhaps Final Cut Pro PC version (I heard there is one, but not sure). I will also be working with Photoshop and ImageReady.

Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

BTW, thank you Videoguys, I've been wanting to build a video editing system for the longest time, but never knew where to start!!!

talsy

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: Needs advice on building a not quite DIY4 system
on Apr 12, 2006 at 4:25:48 pm

Hello talsy,

It's great that you want to build your own video editing system. With regards to your questions, here are my opnions:

1) There is a trend toward dual core CPUs in the market. If you think you want to do a lot of heavy duty editing, then 2 CPUs may be a good idea.

2) I think the WD 160GB may not be enough for serious video editing. Videos take up a LOT of space. You may be better off with at least 250GB of hard disk space.

3) That Intel Pentium D 820 2.8GHz also worries me. I think that AMD (frankly) produces better chips right now. You may want to consider an Athlon FX-60 or Athlon X2.

4) Your RAM of 1GB is just nice.

Return to posts index

cappa84
Re: Needs advice on building a not quite DIY4 system
on Apr 15, 2006 at 12:26:37 pm

AMD CPU's are better, but since you're on a tight budget, wait till April 23rd and get a Pentium Dual Core CPU from their "900 series", i.e 920, 930, 940, 950.

Build a system that will last you 1 year at least. Becuase in 1 years time, there will be Intel's new "Conroe", and "Kentsfield" (with Kentsfield being quad core). These CPU's are truly "next gen". Also, AMD will have their quad core out (which I think will be better then Intels offering).

Also, for price cut info click on the "According to the article" link at this site:
http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=9286

Return to posts index

talsy
Got me thinking
on May 2, 2006 at 12:19:28 am

After reading about the benchmark tests on the Videoguys website, I am going to consider buying the AMD chip. Thanks guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]