FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Questions (Dual Core, VideoCard & MotherBoards)

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
BigDaddyToy
Newbie Questions (Dual Core, VideoCard & MotherBoards)
on Apr 6, 2006 at 7:17:27 am

Hello and sorry for the long post. I am researching the personal or out-sourcing build of my new NLE workstation. I am leaning towards the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro (if it supports output to analog?) and dual (2) AMD dual core Opterons at 2.4 or 2.6. Now, I have 4 layered questions after reading the DIY3 project page.

1. Is the following quote still a problem? If so, how do you tell if a mother board uses this technology? Also, do the boards that currently support dual Opterons, typically, have this problem?
Originally found on the DIY3 Project Page:
"WARNING! Do not use motherboards with a 6300 southbridge. This will become a system bottleneck for NLE."

2. What is the "suggested" video card to use now? Dual cards, PCI-E, SLI (whatever that is?), etc, etc, etc? Also, what about the Matrox Parhelia APVe graphics card? There are so many choices and different technologies and compatabilities - geesh!
We've been getting lots of emails ever since our DIY2 article when we strongly urged going with a Quadro card over a 3D gaming card......Sony Vegas software does not see any benefit of OpenGL at this time, or a really fast 3D graphics card. Vegas relies on pure CPU processing power for it's performance.

3. Again, I was leaning towards the Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro. Does it support, or have a breakout box to output to analog or composite video and audio? Also, does Premier Pro support dual core processor technology and dual processors?
None of the video editing solutions mentioned above have 64 bit code and we do not know what kind of trouble that may cause. To take full advantage of this next technology leap we are going to need NLE software that is optimized for multicore processors as well. Today Sony Vegas 6 is the only NLE....

4. I have been looking at a few companies to build my workstation. So far, I think I have narrowed it down to three: Monarch Computer, Velocity Micro, and ProMax/Boxx. If this forum does not support questions about these companies, Mods please delete this question, not the whole post, please. I have eliminated Dell and Alienware. Realistically, I do not have the confidence or time to build this thing myself and would want a reputable/NLE knowledgeable company to build this for me.

So (question #5), about questions 1-4, any sound advice for a newbie who has been playing around with Premier and After Effects via a Pinnacle DV500 w/ breakout box on a Dell for the last four years?

Many thanks,
Paul (Active Duty Air Force)

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Newbie Questions (Dual Core, VideoCard & MotherBoards)
on Apr 6, 2006 at 2:24:15 pm

I suggest if you don't want to purchase the parts to build your own. (sounds like you plan to hire a compnay to build it)
I suggest you find a company that sells a turn-key NLE system with the cature card you are looking for. Why? Becasue it more likely to have been tested by the selling company, to be reliable & stable.

Return to posts index

BigDaddyToy
on Apr 6, 2006 at 5:54:05 pm

LeeAVP: I suggest if you don't want to purchase the parts to build your own. (sounds like you plan to hire a compnay to build it)
I suggest you find a company that sells a turn-key NLE system with the cature card you are looking for. Why? Becasue it more likely to have been tested by the selling company, to be reliable & stable.

I appreciate your response. Is there a company that you would recommend?

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Apr 6, 2006 at 7:57:33 pm

look in the back of a video trade magazine.

Return to posts index

HAPDigital
on Apr 10, 2006 at 8:02:48 pm

1. Is the following quote still a problem? If so, how do you tell if a mother board uses this technology? Also, do the boards that currently support dual Opterons, typically, have this problem?
Quote:
"WARNING! Do not use motherboards with a 6300 southbridge. This will become a system bottleneck for NLE."

Any answers to this question?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Apr 10, 2006 at 10:12:32 pm

The 6300 is a very real issue. Do NOT build a video editing computer using a motherboard with the 6300 southbridge.

Check out this link for a list of turnkey dealers we recommend
http://www.videoguys.com/turnkey.html

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]