FORUMS: list search recent posts

New drives for RAID 0?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
filmfan214
New drives for RAID 0?
on Apr 3, 2006 at 10:38:00 pm

I currently have a 200 GB drive for video storage, but wanted to get another (identical) 200 GB drive and create a RAID 0 configuration. I was reading the manual for my motherboard, and it says that if you are creating a RAID 0 configuration both drives should be new.

Is this true? And if so, what is the reasoning? I would rather not have to buy two new drives if I can keep the one I have. My only thought was since I have been using one (for about a year) it might have become a little slower for the wear and not be able to match the speed of a newer drive. But then again, I know very little about RAID.

Please help!

-Brock

Return to posts index

Wesley Cardone
Re: New drives for RAID 0?
on Apr 4, 2006 at 4:23:09 pm

I also know little of RAID but know enough to confidently settle this issue.

Tech writers must always look for the simplest form to explain procedures. As you have already essentially noted, it is dumb to think that the machine requires a never-before-used drive just because it is for a RAID application. They are just telling you in the simplest terms to forget about saving any existing data that may be on the drive.

Also, it is my understanding that the only reason you are instructed to use identical drives is to avoid needless waste. If you mix 200 and 300 Gb drives in a RAID(0) configuration you will only get 200 Gb between the two of them. Likewise, if one is slower than the other it is probably true that the slowest will define the overall speed.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]