My DIY 4 experience ...so far so good.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Colt
My DIY 4 experience ...so far so good.
by
on Mar 24, 2006 at 9:44:00 pm

Hey
Just thought I'd post a couple thoughts that might help with the P5WD2 Premium board. I just finished getting a very similar box to DIY 4 running and it's a bit tricky.
I spent a lot of time on the Asus forum for this board and I was a little worried I was going to have major grief at first. It was time well spent as I learned several pitfalls that can be easily avoided.
First, if you plan on using a dual core Pentium you will need the 0606 bios version. It's easy to install if you read the manual but you need a P4 to be able to do the upgrade. Thankfully I had access to one.
Second common problem is people trying to use the 2 red IDE connectors to install the OS. They don't become active til after XP is installed. You have to connect your cd drive and IDE HD (if thats what you are putting the OS on) to the blue connector.
Speaking of XP, you have to use an XP cd with SP1 at least or the install apparently fails.
Some people had issues connecting a cable from the PS to the board to monitor fan speed (Antec PS if I remember correctly) I left mine off.
There are lots of other tidbits concerning the SATA interfaces, getting Raid running and getting memory up to it's rated speed and a ton of overheating complaints which I would venture to guess may be as simple as poor paste between the CPU and cooling unit.
So far I am quite happy with this machine, the D930 runs great and temperatures seem OK so far even with the stock cooler. Vegas 6 is loaded and waiting for 2 more hd's to capture to.
I hope eveyone one else waiting to build one has an easy time of it.

Return to posts index

rbradleyc
Re: My DIY 4 experience ...so far so good.
on Mar 25, 2006 at 1:57:09 am

I've just started ordering the parts for my build. I was planning on using the Pentium D 920, so, if I understand what you're saying, the machine won't run properly if I don't have a P4 to load a different bios? I was also entertaining the thought of using the P5wd2e premium. I wonder if I would run into the same, or worse, problems?

All other input is very appreciated!

Return to posts index

Colt
Bios version
by
on Mar 25, 2006 at 4:49:23 pm

Yes that is exactly what happened with mine. Until I flashed the bios to the 0606 version using the P4 out of my sons computer I would get nothing on power up.
Once it was upgraded, I put the D930 in.....reset the cmos and it would post properly after a couple of power ups.
Apparently some of the newest boards are coming out with the 0606 version but I don't know how you could confirm that before ordering.
I didn't read any of the E Premium forum but it would be wise in my opinion to do so.
I learned a lot and it probably saved me a few brusies on the forehead.

Return to posts index

Colt
by
on Mar 25, 2006 at 5:26:21 pm

If you are going to use a dual core cpu it's important to have it installed before loading Win XP. The D series require a different HAL than a P4.
Maybe someone can comment further on this but my impression is, a machine up and running a P4 would require the OS to be reinstalled if you upgrade to a D series later.

Return to posts index

jackald
on Apr 15, 2006 at 12:16:43 am

Hello
Good to know i couldnt find out why my system dont bootup.
So if i install :

Version 0301 2005/11/07update
Description P5WD2 BIOS 0301

Will my Pentium d 920 work?

Return to posts index

Colt
Bios version
by
on Apr 15, 2006 at 5:29:48 pm

Hi
The Bios version for a dual core cpu in a p5wd2 Premium board is the 0606. Go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us and download the file. The user manual has the instructions for updating the bios (you need to rename the file you download and put it on a floppy disk etc.). As I said earlier, I had to use a P4 cpu to do the upgrade before I could install the D 930.
Once that was done, it would fire up fine with the dual core installed.
Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

wrahn
Use of P4 for UPgrade
on Apr 24, 2006 at 9:55:21 pm

I don't understand how you "use a P4 to upgrade the bios", could you provide the instructions in simple terms?

Thanks,
Wes

Return to posts index

Colt
Using a P4
by
on Apr 25, 2006 at 4:27:37 pm

Hey Wes
Tha P5WD@ Premium board is a socket 775 board. Without the bios upgraded to the 0606 version the machine will only post with a P4 socket 775 processor.
I robbed my sons chip ( P4 3 GHz) and installed it in the board first, WITH the cooling fan also. Once the hardware was all attached, boot the machine with the Asus cd that comes with the board. There is a utility on the cd to flash the bios. You'll need to download (on another computer of course) the bios upgrade (see link in previous post above). This file needs to be re-named and saved to a floppy.
Once the machine has booted up from the cd, run the utility for bios upgrade and put the floppy with the upgrade file in the floppy drive.
Sorry I'm at work and don't have the manual right in front of me but the instructions are all in there.
Once the upgrade finished I removed the floppy and the cd disks and restarted the machine once and watched the screen at startup for the bios version to show onscreen.
Next I removed the P4 cpu and put in the dual core cpu. On the first restart, it failed so I reset the cmos (jumper on the motherboard, instructions in the Asus manual also) and the next boot started fine.
Depending what type of drive you are installing the OS to, you probably need to use the Asus cd to make a floppy with the drivers for whichever Sata interface you require.
Then I installed Win XP pro SP2 etc. etc.

Return to posts index

wrahn
COLT
on Apr 25, 2006 at 4:57:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I believe this DIY might be more than I can chew, and I might consider having it built for me.

Thanks again,
Wes

Return to posts index

Andy Martin
on May 29, 2006 at 10:31:22 am

You specify that you need a P4 in order to flash the bios. I have a celeron CPU whuch is listed as compatible with the board. I'm assuming that I can use this for the initial install before flashing the BIOS and subsequently installing my dual core CPU?

Return to posts index

donphillipe
on Oct 14, 2006 at 6:32:04 am

I think what they are saying is if your P5WD* mobo isn't shipped with BIOS 0606 (or later) on it, the mobo has no idea what a Pentium D chip is. However, being old-school softwarically it does know all about a Pentium 4. But since upgrading a BIOS requires that the mobo boot up at least DOS, and since the mobo must have a Pentium chip strapped on that it is very familiar with and that is working perfectly, and since you presumably have only a Pentium D chip that you just purchased, in this situation you are sunk.

The only way out of this delimma is if you can borrow a P4 chip, boot DOS, upgrade the BIOS to 0606 or later, then return the P4 chip to the lender. Now you are ready to reinstall your new PD chip and away you go with a fresh install, just as if there was never a problem. For mobos shiped with bios 0606 or later, you don't know there was a chance you could have experienced this problem.

Or better yet - If a CPU was installed on a mobo in a forest and the BIOS was 0606 or later, would anyone know that the tree could have fallen if it had been shipped with an earlier release of BIOS Smile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]