FORUMS: list search recent posts

Build Recommendation

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arttwood
Build Recommendation
on Mar 24, 2006 at 3:41:55 pm

Hi all. . .newbie here.

I've been editing videos as a hobby for a few years now - but with the bloated family PC (pentium 4 1.8ghz, 512MB ram, 150G HD, etc.)

I'm interested in building a PC specifically for doing video editing - but the fact is, I'm a hobbyist. I don't have the time (or the capacity) to scale the steep learning curve of the professional-level editors (Adobe Premiere Pro, etc.) I've been using Pinnacle Studio 9, Ulead, and Adobe Elements to-date - and aside from stability issues (which I attribute to the low-powered hardware), I'm quite happy with these solutions. Again, my objective is to take 3 hours of birthday/vacation/etc. video and put it into a 5-25 minute "slick" production. I've got no aspirations for commercial production.

OK - here's my question. I'm about to build my own system. As a principle, I want to build the best I can for the money - without spending too much unnecessarily. I don't NEED the very best - but if it's a matter of spending $50 or $100 more on a component or processor that really makes a difference - then heck - that seems to be a smart choice. Here's my preliminary build below. I think the biggest question for me at this point is, given my limited aspirations, am I "overbuying" on the graphics card? I'm not going to be doing any 3D special effects, CGI, etc. Just your typical suburban dad going way overboard on screen wipes, transitions, etc. Wink

Appreciate your thoughts:

Mother Board Asus A8N SLI Premium NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT
Dual Core
CPU Cooler Thermaltake RX Series CL-P0296 92mm

Memory (2GB) CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered

System Drive Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 80GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Video Storage Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Case Antec P180

Power Supply Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W

Graphics Card Quadro 540

DVD Burner (Already have one - Pioneer 4x)

OS Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM

Return to posts index

dnicho
Re: Build Recommendation
on Apr 24, 2006 at 8:27:33 pm

I too have been specing out a system and was suprised how similar it was to your system. Can you help me out with a few questions?

-Decided to upgrade MB recomended by videoguys to Asus A8N SLI Premium due to reports of trouble with fan on deluxe MB. Have you had any issues / trouble with yours?

- Also decided on Antec P180 case due to improved cooling / space. Have read about problems with getting wires to all components, since power supply is at bottom and far away. Did you have trouble? Did Antec Truepower fit okay / reach all components?

- I'm considering AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 dual core to reduce costs, why did you go with 4200 and are you happy you did?

- I'm leaning towards Sony Vegas Movie Studio (don't need anything bigger, just want to do home editing like you). What are using and any problems with this hardware system?

Hope the build is / has gone okay and would appreciate any advise you can pass my way. This is my first build and I'm a little nervious about it.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

Wesley Cardone
on Apr 25, 2006 at 3:16:00 pm

arttwood: CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 1GHz HT
Dual Core

Consider the 4400+.

In DIY4 they pointed out that there is an L2 cache advantage for a small amount more, though it was impossible to quantify the processing advantage.

For the other poster with the 3800+, I would say stick with what you got. The 3800+ has a pretty significant price advantage.

Return to posts index

arttwood
on May 1, 2006 at 3:44:47 pm

dnicho: I too have been specing out a system and was suprised how similar it was to your system. Can you help me out with a few questions?

-Decided to upgrade MB recomended by videoguys to Asus A8N SLI Premium due to reports of trouble with fan on deluxe MB. Have you had any issues / trouble with yours

NONE AT ALL. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE RAM. NO PROBLEMS WITH THE MOBO.

- Also decided on Antec P180 case due to improved cooling / space. Have read about problems with getting wires to all components, since power supply is at bottom and far away. Did you have trouble? Did Antec Truepower fit okay / reach all components?

I WAS WORRIED ABOUT THE CABLES TOO - SO I WENT WITH THE ANTEC POWER SUPPLY AND THERE WAS NO PROBLEM AT ALL. PLENTY OF LENGTH TO SPARE.

- I'm considering AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800 dual core to reduce costs, why did you go with 4200 and are you happy you did?

ACTUALLY, DECIDED IN THE END, THAT I NEED TO CUT COST TOO AND SO WENT WITH THE 3800. VERY FAST AND HAPPY WITH THIS DECISION.

- I'm leaning towards Sony Vegas Movie Studio (don't need anything bigger, just want to do home editing like you). What are using and any problems with this hardware system?

I'M GOING TO UPGRADE SOON -BUT HAVE JUST BEEN USING PREMIERE ELEMENTS -WHICH WAS ALWAYS UNSTABLE/SLOW ON MY PRIOR SYSTEM. NOW RUNS LIKE A DREAM.

Hope the build is / has gone okay and would appreciate any advise you can pass my way. This is my first build and I'm a little nervious about it.

THIS WAS MY FIRST BUILD TOO. LUCKILY, A FRIEND FROM WORK HELPED ME OUT AND IT DIDN'T TAKE THAT LONG. HIS ADVICE (WHICH WAS GOOD) WAS TO FIRST PLAN OUT THE INSTALLATION. . THINK WHICH PART WILL GO IN FIRST, SECOND, ETC. WITH THE P180, THE FAN DUCT HAS TO BE REMOVED FIRST BEFORE THE MOBO CAN BE PUT IN. ALSO, BOTH SIDES MUST BE REMOVED IN ORDER TO REMOVE THE POWER SUPPLY CAGE (SO THAT THE POWER SUPPLY CAN BE PUT INTO IT AND THEN RE-INSTALLED). THE P180 INSTRUCTIONS (IF YOU CAN CALL THEM THAT) IN MY OPINION, WERE VERY POOR- BUT ITS AN EXCELLENT CASE.
Thank you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]