FORUMS: list search recent posts

p5wd2-e premium RAID 0 problems

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coopnhtown
p5wd2-e premium RAID 0 problems
on Mar 7, 2006 at 11:26:27 am

I cannot get to the RAID configuration screen after POST to setup my SATA drives in RAID 0. ASUS has been unable to help so far. If you have the same board setup please send a reply.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: p5wd2-e premium RAID 0 problems
on Mar 7, 2006 at 10:07:49 pm

go into MOBO BIOS and setup the SATA ports to RAID (I don't remember the exact wording) Owners manual should have a good explaination

edited and added:
I did a search on you MOBO and the electronic manual says that section is 4.3.6 (page 90?)

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 8, 2006 at 1:13:58 am

Thanks for the reply...

I have the BIOS setup to use the SATA drives as a RAID. The next step is to stripe the drives and then format them which you have to do from the RAID utility. I cannot get to the RAID utility for this mobo.

Anyone else have this problem?

Return to posts index

jadeox
on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:32:58 am

i don't have your board but i have the A8N-SLI Deluxe, the process should be the same. i just built my machine last week.

it took me awhile to think it through but i finally got my raid 0 to work.
- go into the raid setup in the BIOS and select the raid configuration that you want and the drives to use.
- then in window, go to device manager and pick Disk Management. you should see your drives here. all you have to do is bring them online and format them.

i used two 250gb drives in Raid 0, so it took me awhile to format (232gb x2=464gb). after it done, i check drive D and sure enough, it's 464gb... which is correct.

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 8, 2006 at 11:52:02 am

Thanks for the reply...

Windows does not show the drives. I have set the BIOS to RAID but it does not let you assign the drives to it.

Supposedly you can get to the RAID setup utility using Ctrl-I during POST but I have not been able to accompolish this.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 8, 2006 at 2:15:48 pm

Disk management has to show your drives (unformatted) regardless if it is RAIDed or not. UNLESS you haven't connected everything correctly or something isn't working correctly. (and yes windows' "my computer" won't show you your drives until you format them)

plus to respond to your post after mine. You format your drives in windows, under disk management and not the SATA RAID BIOS. You setup the type of RAID in the RAID BIOS.

What does disk managemnet show you?

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 9, 2006 at 2:48:50 am

I had success but I am confused now...

I looked in the Disk Manager and it did not see the drives. So I set the BIOS to IDE instead of Raid. It still did not see the drives. Next I moved the drives off of the SATA RAID connectors and plugged them in as SATA 1 and 2. Disk manager found them at that point and I made them dynamic drives and striped them. The confusing part is the BIOS is still set to IDE instead of RAID....

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 9, 2006 at 3:11:54 am

So I rebooted the system and switched the BIOS back to RAID...

Now I see the RAID Utility screen after POST...

I guess I had two problems...

1. I was plugged into the Marvel Raid Controller but had it disabled in the BIOS.

2. My spankin new drives were'nt recognized until they were initialized through windows first.

Thanks for the help...

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 9, 2006 at 4:53:48 am

Hey I have the same mobo and I just finished building and setting up my comp yesterday. But I am having the same problems with trying to setup a RAID0.

Mine are on the intel sata plugs (not marvell), the boot disk is on 1 and the other two on 3 and 4.

I see that you put yours on the marvell on 1, 2, and 3. Should I do this?

And which is better to use, the marvell or the intel sata plugs?

Thanx

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 9, 2006 at 6:06:48 pm

I would leave it the way you currently have it plugged in...not using the Marvell RAID connection.

As a test...set your BIOS to RAID...once you get to windows go to your disk manager which is in the Administrative tools folder for XP. If it sees your Hdd it will say they need to be initialized and they won't have a drive letter assigned to them. Go ahead and initialize them and then reboot your computer. You should see the RAID utility screen pop up right after the POST. Use CTRL-I to access the RAID utility.

If windows did not see your drives using disk manager then go back into the bios and set it to IDE drives rather than RAID. The BIOS will detect the drives now. Once in windows go to the disk manager and initialize the drives then reboot the computer and change your BIOS setting back to RAID. You should now see the RAID utility screen right after the POST. It has green text on it instead of the usual white text with a black background.

Let me know what you figure out...

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 14, 2006 at 2:08:28 am

Hey,
So I tried what you posted and neither of them work. I can access the Ctrl+I screen, but whenever I create a volume windows won't boot. Windows won't boot even if only the IDE Config is set to raid and I don't actually create a volume.

So the only way I can boot windows is if it is set to Standard IDE. But then I don't have a raid0 volume for the other 2 hd I have.

Hey, coopnhtown, could you tell me exactly how you have yours set up?

Thanx

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 14, 2006 at 10:02:42 pm

mytheory,

maybe it won't boot because the boot up order has changed. make sure, in Main BIOS, your 1st seek to boot is your OS hard drive not your RAID.

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 14, 2006 at 11:47:33 pm

First off, thanx for the reply.

Second, in bios my boot priority is set 1) CD 2)HD 3)Floppy drive, and the only harddrive option for the boot priority is the one with my OS. Should I set it as number one, I was thinking it shouldn't matter.

So I tried everything to setup raid0 through bios and it would create the volume but won't boot windows with the IDE Config set to RAID. So what I tried was I logged into windows went to disk manager and then initialized the disks, made them dynamic, and then it asked me to create a volume so I did in a "striped" format, then I formatted the drive. And now in "my computer" I have my C: drive and a new F: drive with the correct capacity of the other two drives combined. But my IDE Config in bios is still set to Standard IDE.

My question (worry) is: Is the F: drive in a raid0 format or not, since in bios the IDE Config is still set to Standard IDE? Would I be able to leave it as is, and start editing some footage without any problems?

Thanx alot

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 15, 2006 at 12:36:19 am

OK... So LeeAVP, just to make sure I went back into bios and tried raid again and looked at the boot priority, and indeed it says RAID infront of the OS drive. But when I created the volume through Ctrl + I I only put the two data drives in the volume, why is it that the bios is recognizing the OS drive as a Raid also? Under HDs in bios I have a RAID OS Drive and a RAID Volume Drive. Could any explain this and what I should do?

Oh btw, after I tried raid again my intial stripe and format through windows got all messed up.

Thanx

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 15, 2006 at 3:14:38 am

mytheory,
I'm lost what is your problem now?
Did you just do a hardware RAID and then Software RAIDed it?

I'f you have a problem.. remove data & power cables from RAID drives... boot up.. verify BIOS for OS drive to boot (remember ID name for drive).. Boot up windows.. is your computer back to normal? If not, re-install/fix.
If yes, attach HDs, enter RAID BIOS, set the two drives (if 2) to RAID 0 (i assume 0). reboot and enter main bios.. set boot HD to your OS drive (I hope you know which is which). save and restart to windows... go to disk mananagement (you should see 2 drives 1) C aka OS 1) E-Z?(seen as one large drive but adds up to your two drives RAIDed) format if it isn't formatted. (when I format my drive I name my RAID as V for video)

I hope that helps

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 15, 2006 at 5:49:30 am

I guess what I did through windows was a software raid, but ultimately I want to setup a hardware raid(?) through intels raid controller via bios.

And second, I know which drive is the OS, and it works fine even with the other 2 drives attached, but as soon as I set the IDE Config to Raid everything goes wrong -- windows won't boot. I've already reinstalled windows and it's still causing problems.

thanx

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 15, 2006 at 2:56:05 pm

Arn't all your drives SATA and not IDE????? no need to set IDE to RAID if your drives for RAID are SATA. your CD drive is IDE

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 15, 2006 at 9:13:27 pm

Yea all my harddrives are sata. So what you are saying is that I don't have to set them to RAID in bios? So it should be fine just stripeing them in windows through disk management?

thanx again man

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 16, 2006 at 2:53:29 am

don't set your IDE port to RAID, set your SATA to RAID. read your owner's manual.

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 16, 2006 at 11:36:28 pm

I've already tried what the manual says, I don't know if you have the same mobo, but in bios the only way to set raid is through the IDE Config. then there is an option to "Config SATA as:" and the options are RAID, ACHI, Standard IDE. But everytime I set it to raid like the manual says, windows won't boot. Windows only boots when it is set to Standard IDE.

So now what do I do?

thanx

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 17, 2006 at 2:53:49 pm

what MOBO do you have?

do you have 2 clusters of SATA ports?

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 17, 2006 at 10:08:06 pm

Sorry...I've been out of town on vacation. Back now though. Did you get your problems straightened out?

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 20, 2006 at 8:05:49 am

Hey, coopnhtown

Good to hear from you again, hope you had a great vacation. But my problem still continues. I was able to set a striped volume through disk management, but my IDE Config in BIOS is set to Standard IDE. Whenever I set it to RAID, windows does not boot. When I set it to RAID and create the volume through the POST, my boot disk is considered part of the raid, but when I set up the volume I do not include the boot drive as part of it.

Thanx for anything you got

Return to posts index

coopnhtown
on Mar 21, 2006 at 2:36:11 am

I sent you a PM but just in case...

I have a P5WD2-E Premium MOBO and three WD Raptor HDD's.

My C: drive is connected to the red connector labeled SATA 1

My other two drives are connected to the black connectors labeled SATA 3 and SATA 4

If you use the other connectors SATA RAID 1, SATA RAID 2, SATA RAID 3, or SATA RAID 4 (blk connector) you are connecting to the Marvell Raid controller instead of the Intel controller and you would have to enable the Marvell controller in the BIOS. I have read a lot of posts on the internet saying that this does not work. Don't have the time or patience to test the Marvell controller.

Once I was connected to the Intel Raid controller Windows XP would still not recognize the drives through "My Computer" and I am not sure that the CTRL-I function worked at this point either due to the order in which I got it running.

The next thing I did was stripe the two drives like you did through the disk manager...I guess this is what everyone is calling a software raid because my BIOS was still set to IDE at this point. I rebooted the system and everything worked fine except when I went to my computer the raid drive would disappear. I did not get the CTRL-I option at this point because my BIOS was set to IDE.

I changed my BIOS setting back to RAID and then I could use the RAID setup utility (CTRL-I) to setup the RAID. The utility showed all 3 drives at this point and I just selected the two I wanted to be in the RAID 0 setup and left the drive that was my C: alone.

Send me a reply and let me know where you are at in the process and we will get it going...if I can get it I'm sure you can.

Take a couple of breaths and don't smash your computer.

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 21, 2006 at 3:11:01 am

Yea I tried everything you listed probably 2 or more times. But the conclusion I get is that the only way I can do it is through a software raid. Beacause everytime I set it to RAID in the bios I can get up to the splash screen that says windows xp, but the blue thing at the bottom doesn't move and then it reboots. I checked to make sure that my boot drive was not a raid, but in the boot priority it says the boot is part of the raid, but in rRAID setup utility I only set my two data drives as a volume.

Thanx

Return to posts index

mytheory.
on Mar 22, 2006 at 3:44:09 am

OK... so I really can't get anything to work, ASUS techs are idiots. Now is it alright to just do a software raid (through disk management)? I really need to start editing, but can't get any use out of my HDD with no other way than this.

Thanx.

Return to posts index

rbradleyc
on Mar 26, 2006 at 1:52:51 am

I was wondering if you guys got the problems straightened out. I am thinking of buying this board (P5wd2e Prem) for the system I am going to build. I wasn't sure whether to use this board or the p5wd2 prem. Is the e board performing well?

Return to posts index

jjneidl
Get a bigger drive
on Mar 26, 2006 at 2:55:27 pm

Can you get a 500gb hard drive for video storage, and forget the raid stuff? Why use two-250gb drives in raid 0 when you can use one 500gb drive, and no raid?
Confused :

Return to posts index

Colt
Checked Asus forum on this board
by
on Mar 27, 2006 at 5:17:13 pm

Hey
I have the Premium board, not the E and it sounds like they have some similar problems. As I related in another post, most of my problems were avoided by reading through the forum on the Asus support site. This post in particular seemed to address many of the problems with the E version.
The site is slow but worth spending some time on.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20060207182820893&board_id=1&...

Hopefully your answer is here......it's a long post.

Good luck

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on May 19, 2006 at 7:46:52 pm

I have had the same experience. I now have Cdrive and Edrive Raid (2x 250gb/ 0 stripe) and Fdrive Raid (2x 250gb/ 0 stripe).
My computer tech and I went thru step by step in the manual, this forum, and the Asus forum link above. I think its working, as my computer shows the correct volumes.
How can I tell if the Raid is using the Windows software raid, the Marvell controller, or the ICH7? And what is the difference in speed? Where can I monitor that?

Return to posts index

Colt
You are using the E version MB
by
on May 21, 2006 at 5:26:12 pm

Hey
First off I have never really looked into checking the throughput of the drives, maybe the forum guys can suggest a testing program. I seem to remember some mention of these types of programs on the Asus forum also.
You should see in the manual diagram which controller you have plugged the drives into. On th Premium board the IHC7 connectors for SATA drives are all grouped together, 2 red and 2 black. The Silison Image controller on the Premium has 1 internal and 1 external Sata connector.

As long as you didn't set up the raid stripe and format the drives in Widows disk manager you are not using Windows software RAID. Based on what you've said, I think you are fine in that regard.

Why did you set up c: on a striped volume? Seems that is considered a bad thing to do

Return to posts index

pjletofsky
on May 22, 2006 at 5:36:43 pm

My C drive remains separate and isn't striped. Coopnhtown said he disk management> volume striped his drives, and then got into the asus bios raid options. One tech told me you had to set this in the bios before you install windows. It should be very simple when you follow the manual step by step, and its very confusing when it doesn't do what it says. The asus forum says that the marvell bios is the problem and will get fixed....Do you have to reinstall windows when the bios is updated? Otherwise my computer is running great. I just wanted to take advantage of the asus sata raid....

Return to posts index

Colt
Bios upgrade
by
on May 23, 2006 at 12:17:43 am

You shouldn't have to re-install Windows after a bios upgrade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]