FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY4 HD Raid

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
emmedin
DIY4 HD Raid
on Mar 3, 2006 at 2:17:28 pm

Several friends that do video editing have recently stopped using a striped RAID arrray as one of their HD failed and all their data was lost. In DIY4
you use one SATA HD for the system and two Hitachi SATA 250 HD in a striped RAID array. If the RAID setup is not reliable would it not be better to use two large HD for the data and backup using a mirrored RAID array. Is the raid setup in DIY 4 required for the data transfer speed for HDV work? Please advise on the best option(s), as I intend to purchase HD's for installation in the near future. Keep up the good work with DIY4 and I look forward to your build update.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
Re: DIY4 HD Raid
on Mar 3, 2006 at 10:19:37 pm

first, you are correct that with a RAID 0 stripe if one drive fails all data is lost.
A RAID 5 stripe would use 3 or more drives and use one drive for parity bits which can be used to rebuild the data should a drive fail.

Here's the deal. For your OS and programs use a single drive. Put your video on a RAID 0 stripe for maximum throughput. While your friend s point is valid, it is also moot. Here's why. Lets say I have two hard drives. Drive A & Drive B. If I stripe the two drives together and Drvie A fails, I loose all my data. If I don't stripe the drives together, and have my project and files on Drive A, and it fails, I loose all my data as well!!

When drives fail - IT SUCKS! The only way to protect yourself from that situation is a redundant storage solution like VideoRAID RTR http://www.videoguys.com/videoraidRTR.html

Gary

Return to posts index

mikiewendy
on Mar 5, 2006 at 8:20:24 pm

New to the forum and appreciate the all of the information you provide here.

Anyway, I am in the process of building a video editing machine for a friend who has recently had extremely bad luck with hard drives. I am building it using the Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboard.

I plan to set up a striped raid on the SATA 1 and a redundant RAID on SATA 2. The reason for the striped channel is to increase speed on the system drive where he will be doing his video editing development. The redundant channel will be for him to store his "in progress" and completed work.

If he loses a hard drive on the striped array he mostly loses operating system and installed software. This can be replaced. The redundant array will protect his most valuable data.

Do you see any problems with this configuration other than the five hard drives required?

Mike

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Mar 6, 2006 at 2:34:34 am

Mike,

I am lost on your post. I thought Videoguy explained it pretty well. 1 OS drive and 3+ Drives in a RAID 5 setup which is redundant and stripped raid setup combined. This helps prevent loss of data.

Return to posts index

mikiewendy
on Mar 6, 2006 at 4:14:28 am

LeeAVP: Mike,

I am lost on your post. I thought Videoguy explained it pretty well. 1 OS drive and 3+ Drives in a RAID 5 setup which is redundant and stripped raid setup combined. This helps prevent loss of data.

I believe the setup in his post simply stated use striping only. My post referred to using both a striped raid and mirrored(redundant) raid within the same system. Two hard drives for the striped raid and three additional hard drives for the mirrored raid. Five hard drives in total.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Mike

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Mar 6, 2006 at 9:55:45 am

You are WRONG! NEVER use a RAID 0 srtripe for your system drive. You gain nothing and risk everything. If your system drive fails your computer is dead. You have to reinstall EVERYTHING. The OS, the programs, the settings, your profiles etc.

In addition the advantage of RAID 0 is for sustained throughput - moving massive amounts of data in huge files. Like a 1 hour video that is 13GB. RAID0 is no advantage for constantly moving and seaking small bits of data - which is what your system drive does.

DO NOT USE A RAID0 STRIPE FOR YOUR SYSTEM DRIVE!

GAry

Return to posts index

mikiewendy
on Mar 6, 2006 at 2:58:04 pm

In your earlier post you refer to using one hard drive for the system drive. There is no redundancy with that configuration. If you lose it you lose all of your system data.

Many people stripe system drives for increased overall system performance. Gamers do this religiously. Don't forget that there is a substantial SWAP file that windows uses constantly. System response time is DEFINATELY improved by striping the system drive. If someone is that concerned about losing system information, just set up a nightly copy of the windows, documents and settings, and program files folders. Problem solved.

If my system drive has 250gb of space, there is plenty for the system components and video editing. Simply copy the data over to the redundant drives every so often to protect your data.

Having striped many system drives and comparing the results against non striped system drives I have to strongly disagree on your response that there is no benefit. Don't get me wrong, there is increased risk at losing the system information since there are two fail points. However, I am much more confortable reinstalling an os and programs than telling someone hours of their work or family videos are gone forever.

I expected a response documenting valid reasons why this wouldn't be feasible. Not a response stating that you should never do it because we say so.

Once it is built I will let you know the results.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Mar 6, 2006 at 6:10:43 pm

Video editing and gaming have different needs. Games do not require you to move massive amounts of data - both reading and writing.

But as we say on our systems recommendation page:

RAID Warning! We do NOT recommend setting up your computer with a single RAID 0 array as your boot drive and video storage. This will actually give you poor performance for video editing. The constant reading and writing of small bits of data to the boot drive works against the need to read & write large continuous video files. Add in the overhead of the RAID controller and you get potential bottlenecks. For video editing you always want to have a dedicated drive or RAID array for your video files.

Now - the warning above is really for folks who think they can just use a single RAID 0 stripe for both the system and video files. If you want to run a RAID 0 stripe for your system drive - got for it. But we have not seen any benefit for video editing by doing it.

BTW - we do recommend getting an exernal firewire/USB drive or G-RAID to use for backing up your critical video projects. Just copy them over as needed.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]