FORUMS: list search recent posts

Intel or AMD

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
heffe
Intel or AMD
on Mar 2, 2006 at 4:40:49 pm

I have been bouncing back and forth trying to configure a good HDV system. Using PPro and Aspect HD, my initial thoughts were to go with a dual Intel Xeon setup, which I've configured for just under $3,000 with some parts/software that I already own.

I have read in many places that Adobe's software runs fastest on Intel's CPUs, but then again, many sources say (including Cineform) that if you're going dual CPU go with dual AMD Opterons.
A dual CPU AMD setup is also a bit cheaper, but am I sacrificing the speed of applications that may not recognize/utilize a dual CPU setup?

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions, experience, or an AMD CPU that they recommend. I have little to no experience using AMD's, so any thoughts on this question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

fishquail
Re: Intel or AMD
on Mar 2, 2006 at 5:14:24 pm

I dont know but - I think the ablosute fastest processors out right now are top of the line AMD opterons w/ dual core CPUs. However, there are probably Xeons that ( for there comparable release date) were faster than the Opterons in the same class. -Say 6 moths ago, top line Xeons may have been faster. It will take you a lot of research - but if you find out let us know.

As far as software liking one over the other< I would asume it wouldnt matter as they both contain the same multimedia instructions set.

All I do know for sure is go with the top of the line Opteron if you can aford it. If not you may want to go Xeon.

Return to posts index

fishquail
on Mar 6, 2006 at 6:16:37 am

Ok, let me clairify. I know a lot more now about xeon vs Opteron.
AMD Opteron Processor outperforms the Xeon in almost every way and they cost about the same. Go with the Opteron, however make sure whatever video editing system / cards/ you are using are compatable with it. For example: I wanted an opteron but my RTX100 extreme pro does not support Opteron processors or there MB chipsets.

Return to posts index

cappa84
on Mar 6, 2006 at 6:59:27 am

Go for the Opteron 265 (1.8Ghz) or 270 (2.0Ghz).

Both have been reduced by around 50% in price just recently.

This way, you have 4 cores running at once. I once read a review (which I can't find the damn link for lol, sorry!) about 6 months ago, and a 4-way Opteron system is a video editors dream come true.

Return to posts index

fishquail
on Mar 6, 2006 at 3:58:26 pm

Its still just a dream for me... not that i cant aford the dream, its that the dream dosnt work on Matrox. I hate you matrox.

Return to posts index

gary_hend
on Mar 9, 2006 at 1:51:27 pm

Yes I know it is difficult to choose. AMD chips are cheaper and Intel a bit more expensive. You really need to consider which one you're more comfortable with.

I'd had good experience with all my AMD chips so far. You may also want to read this article which shows you what to look for in a video editing computer:

http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/computer-for-video-editing.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]