FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Microphone for Voiceover on a PC

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bennyd030653
Best Microphone for Voiceover on a PC
on Feb 25, 2006 at 12:20:50 am

Any advice on the best set-up for voiceovers for videos on a PC? I am making Training videos for a large Paper Mill. Using Adobe Premier 2.0 and Adobe Audition. I would really love to make the voiceovers sound more professional. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Best Microphone for Voiceover on a PC
on Feb 25, 2006 at 2:54:05 am

What is your budget?
quiet sound room. buy a nice (or expensive) studio mic w/ pop screen. compressor/limiter/gate
I use my firewire port to import audio verses the mic in jack on the back of the motherboard.

my 2 cents

Return to posts index

bennyd030653
Budget
on Feb 26, 2006 at 2:24:20 pm

The budget is sub $500. The actual Microphone seems to be my biggetst challenge. Trying to poick one and then get its sound into the computer. Some columns I've read have said you really need a mixer prior to the sound going in. Any suggestions?
Benny

Return to posts index

Colt
My 2 cents
by
on Feb 28, 2006 at 5:55:23 pm

Hey Benny
I am in a similar boat as you and have done a fair bit of research on audio. I'm no expert but after a lot of reading, I think I am going to buy an ADK A-51 mic. They get great reviews and you should be able to find one for 150.00 or so. Only problem is they require phantom power from a mixer via the XLR cable. Behringer makes a decent little mixer as well as Mackie (Mackies are more dollars but have nicer mic pre-amps) A little 4 channel should be enough....just make sure they have a couple of XLR inputs with phanton power capability. Then your only problem is getting the audio into the pc. I looked at an E-MU 0404 pci sound card ( and the reviews are mixed but they are only about 99.00). I don't know what you are using for a sound card now but in my opinion the Soundblaster stuff just isn't up to par for good quality audio.
With Audition you should have all the tools you need to enhance the sound with effects and eq etc.
I too am looking at doing some training videos for a pulp mill.
Good luck!!!! Hope this helps a little.

Return to posts index

bennyd030653
Thanks
on Mar 5, 2006 at 1:53:30 pm

Thanks for the reply. It does help.
Samson has a new mic a CO1U that is USB. It is designed for podcasting and might bwe a good answer. I'll let you know what I find out.
Benny

Return to posts index

virtualscribe
Audio Myths
on Mar 9, 2006 at 8:29:10 pm

I create web video and video for interactive CDs and DVDs. I have honestly had extremely good results in a quiet space with a $2 microphone.

The idea is to record your voice, then zoom in, select a sample of the white ambient noise your MIC captured, and then get rid of it throughout your audio. This will reduce the overall quality of your audio very slightly, but result in very clean sounding, near perfect audio. Adobe Audition has an amazing set of effects called Noise Reduction. You zoom into a space in your audio where you are not speaking, select that white noise, then click Get Profile from Selection. Click Close, not OK. Then go back to your full wave capture, open up Noise Reduction again, this time press OK. It will apply the selection capture you made last time. What you will see in your audio is lack of ambience during the times you don't speak. The waves will be changed somewhat. As long as you are in relative quiet, you will not be changing the wave nature of the audio too much. But while you are speaking, between your segments leave about 5 seconds of empty space, so that you have a good place to select from. What you will be selecting are background fans, any ambient hum from computers, constant noise like ticking of clocks, etc. By the time these are removed, you should have near pristine audio with your 2 dollar cheapie capture device. Mine isn't even $2. It came with the laptop I bought. But I have to admit, I spent $2 at a dollar store to purchase a MIC so that the people I record will pay me the $125/hour I charge to produce my professional work. Spend money on improving your technique, not on expensive electronic equipment. In the end, unless you know how to clean up audio, your super expensive audio capture device won't create better results unless you know how to clean it up.

The secret is not in the quality of the microphone. Unless you are broadcasting to a movie theater full of audiophiles with great ears, you don't need to waste your money getting a $500 microphone. From your description it sounds like people will be listening to your voice over their headphones, or laptop/PC speakers. Or a television speaker. The secret is in cleaning up ambient sound which detracts from human voice. Learn better Adobe Audition technique.

Save your $500 and see if your company will allow you to spend it on learning how to improve your audio skills in a class or purchasing books for the same purpose. I really like the video versions of training some people are beginning to offer now. That way you can see exactly the software you are using, skip to the sections of your interest, then get right to work.

Return to posts index

bennyd030653
Re: Best Microphone for Voiceover on a PC
on Jun 20, 2006 at 5:45:00 pm

Great tips. Thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]