FORUMS: list search recent posts

Help me with the storage, please, please!!!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alberto Corredor
Help me with the storage, please, please!!!
on Feb 22, 2006 at 3:52:37 pm

Our system is totally messed up in terms of storage. As I started working for the company, the idea was to have 2 edit suites with XpressPro and use external firewire drives to move the projects around. My boss bought 1 external Lacies (which has been completely unreliable since) and added an old external SCSI tower to work with 1:1 footage. Then he decided we should keep all the projects online, as we produce training videos which are interrelated and we repeat footage quite often. That means, 18 moths after I started we have 4 external Lacies, an internal SCSI, an external SCSI tower and (the best bit) 2 “emergency” internal SATA drives added just to be able to finish the last 7 videos.

I know what you are thinking: “Does it work?”. Well, yes, it does, but far from optimal. That’s why I told my boss to look for a “unified” solution. Since we don’t work with HD, I would like to move our storage to a SATA external solution. I’ve been researching it, and there are a few options out there (I particularly like the Huge systems solutions, but I think that’s out of question for my boss, too expensive). There is no way I go for firewire again, so the G-Raid solutions are no for me. I was told in the Avid forums to take a look at the granite digital solutions:

http://granitedigital.com/catalog/indx_serialata.htm

My only concern is the sustained speed I can get from them, because we are going to edit 1:1 footage and, at some point HDV.

I would be grateful about any feedback you guys can give me, especially those running a similar system.

Our system:

Avid Xpress Pro 4.6.7 with Mojo

Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

Dell Precision 650

2x Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz

2GB ECC DDR-SDRAM

NVIDIA Quadro FX 500

Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]