FORUMS: list search recent posts

New fast system but slow windows boot.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
imajoker2
New fast system but slow windows boot.
on Feb 21, 2006 at 9:56:55 pm

Hello, I just built the DIY4 Green Machine with the exception of AMD Athlon 64x2 4400, I went with the 64x2 3800 Manchester Core CPU and figured I will update when the prices come down.

I have tested, captured, edited and rendered and burned a dvd. The machine was flawless and fast with one exception.

On initial boot up for the day, it gets to the windows screen and seems to hang for 4-5 minutes before it completes booting. I've checked everything I know to check and can find nothing. On reboot, it takes about 30 seconds but the initial boot is agonizingly slow.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Terry

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: New fast system but slow windows boot.
on Feb 24, 2006 at 8:35:33 pm

Try the WinXP tweak under tech support from this site. (I have not done it, but it may delete a line in the registry which is hanging you up)

Return to posts index

virtualscribe
Reg Cleaner
on Mar 11, 2006 at 7:52:48 pm

Windows has an amazing array of programs which want to autostart when you first boot up. It helps to manually get rid of things you don't need. Real player, for example at startup. PDF at startup. Winfax modem programs, and a host of other things you either don't need every time, or just aren't crucial enough, that you can manually start up when you need them.

A great program for finding hidden start up programs has been Reg Cleaner. Press Control Alt Delete in Windows XP, and see what your total processes are. I have found good, clean, fast starts when I can keep them about 32-37. I have friends with bogging systems, at about the 60 processes running all the time range. All those small icons, unnecessary programs, IMs, watchers, etc. If you are really building a video app, concentrate only on that, and get rid of all the other garbage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]