FORUMS: list search recent posts

Convert from Umatic

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
johnjayr
Convert from Umatic
on Feb 21, 2006 at 5:14:29 pm

I want to convert some old 3/4" Umatic tapes to DV. What is the best way to do this? What connector I need to use from the Umatic (it looks like a BNC Composite, but I'm not sure)?

I wonder if the DAC 5 would be the best way to go to do the conversion?

In other words: what do you recommend as the best way to go from the old Umatic to capture as DV. Also, does it need to go through a TBC? Or will any of the hardware converters do this?

thanx!

jj

Return to posts index

Loyd981
best way
on Feb 28, 2006 at 5:11:43 pm

Hey JJ:

The best way to do this is with a TBC, but if you don't have one it just a plug and play thing. The video output is BNC on almost all 3/4" machines I have used. You can go online or to local RS to get the connector you are looking for. There is one think is if you live in a bigger city there are duplication house that will do it for you and of course there is a price, but almost all of them have a TBC working to get to DV. You could use the DAC 5 and fix the color in the computer system. Also you can plug up to your DV machine and use that. There are so many ways of doing things like this, but all depends on your time?

Loyd981

Return to posts index

johnjayr
thanx
on Feb 28, 2006 at 6:13:00 pm

Thanx for your input. I would like to get as good quality as possible, and I'm thinking that using a hardware codec for digitizing would be a good way to go. I wasn't sure if the DAC 5 (or 10) might have TBC as part of the architecture of the unit itself. We have an old TBC from the 3/4" analog editing dayz, but if we don't need to use it, I'd as soon not (on the theory that signals degrade for every additional piece of hardware you add ... ).

I just wasn't sure what the signal is on a BNC -- can I put it directly into the video composite channel (using a BNC to RCA)? That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Again, thanx for your input ...

Return to posts index

Loyd981
on Feb 28, 2006 at 6:36:41 pm

Yes, should not have a problem just using a BNC to RCA. The only thing I seen allot is that people don't play the tapes enough and they get lines and video color problems, because the coating on the tape is coming off, because the tapes sat for years on a self. Before you load it just FF and RR. You should be good, because the coating that is lose will come off and you will get the best picture you can get off of it. I am a big fan of TBC's, but at home I don't use them, because I just don't have the gear I have at work.

Good luck.

Loyd981

Return to posts index

johnjayr
Re: Convert from Umatic
on Feb 28, 2006 at 6:42:06 pm

Thanx!
Yeah, we have a clean machine (RTI) to run them through, and then we'll digitize them after that ... unless they are in such bad shape they have to be preserved first -- then we'll send them out.

j

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]