FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture card Internal vs External

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jojoza
Capture card Internal vs External
on Jan 24, 2005 at 10:15:06 am

Hi There

I tried this forum on "getting started" but this might be the right place to put it.

The number of capture cards available is daunting. I wanted to get the Pinnacle deluxe but has now realised that it is a PCI and not PCIe. Will this work on an ASUS P5AD2 Premium motherboard. The Moviebox version is USB, but I recall that it was somewhere on this site dicourage to use USB.??? The ADS Pyro is Firewire. I have a lot of analog raw material that needs conversion so DV only is not an option. Would you rather go for something like the Canopus ADVC300. This is not for "studio use", just for me and the family and the occasional school function. I know the latter option is twice as expenisve and I would need real motivation to go that route. The basic question is PCI,PCIe(if there are any) USB or Firwire for the capture card. ( I must say I like the Pinnacle studio 9 Plus Software)

Your advice will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Kenneth Daves
Re: Capture card Internal vs External
on Jan 24, 2005 at 12:14:48 pm

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P5AD2%20Premium&langs=01

This link says all versions of your motherboard have three PCI slots in addition to the PCI Express slots.

Pinnaclesys makes a Studio Moviebox DV and ADS Tech makes the Pyro A/V Link that are similar to the Canopus ADVC-100/300.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 24, 2005 at 2:43:24 pm

The ASUS P5AD296 Premium has on board firewire. So all you need is a converter box. Since you plan on using Pinnacle Studio 9, get teh Moviebox DV. Mbox DV includes the full studio 9 NLE app.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

jojoza
on Jan 31, 2005 at 9:49:02 am

Thank you for the comments.

Is there any advantage to go the Firewire route and not PCI. (apart from the installationof the PCI card. This is not a problem). And is it true that USB should be the last resort. This is after all the most commonly used interface for other stuff. Does it create a bottle neck or is it just rumors?

Does the Pinnacle Moviebox do the same sort of "cleaning" of the analog video as the claims for Canopus ADCV300.?

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 31, 2005 at 6:03:41 pm

The ADVC300 is in aleague of its own when it comes to cleaning up your old VHS tapes. No other converter has this technology.

The advantage of an internal PCI card really depends on what else it does besides just allow analog input. As an example the MAtrox RTX100 adds a ton of realtime performance to Premiere Pro. The various Pinnacle Studio hardware solutions all really do the same thing, just via different interfaces.

Gary

Videoguys.com / The Electronic Mailbox 800 323-2325
We Are The Desk Top Video Editing & Production Experts

All DTV purchases come with our exclusive 30 day customer assurance program and FREE Tech Support

Return to posts index

jojoza
on Feb 1, 2005 at 11:05:58 am

Thank you very much for your input. This was very informative. Will be placing my order very soon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]