FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dual Xeon DIY: Needing a little advice from the experienced.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
KennyMac
Dual Xeon DIY: Needing a little advice from the experienced.
on Feb 18, 2006 at 2:30:43 am

I'm trying to build an NLE system that I can use with my Sony HC1 HDV Camcorder. I've had a lot of experience with both Pinnacle 8 & 9, but when I tried Version 10... my AMD 2.1GHz platform fell on its butt. Time to change that... but I need a little advice.

As a video newbie, I really liked the simplicity and ease of use the Pinnacle platform offered me, but on longer video's... the audio and video always gets way out of sync. That stinks after hours of work!! So now I'm down to choosing an Intermediate NLE solution w/video capture hardware and grappling with a few contradictions on the Videoguys website (maybe just my confusion).

I'm leaning toward LE6.1 (for HDV editing) but a 256MB Video Card is recommended. The most recommended NLE card seems to be the FX540V w/ Breakout Box... but that's 128MB. Will these not work very well together?

Should I go with Sony Vegas6 since my camera is Sony? That sounds like a great product as well.

Workstation DIY Project: Here's what I've ordered..

Motherboard: Intel Server Board SE7525GP2 Dual Processor / Graphics Bandwidth (1) PCIe x16 - (1) PCIe x4 - (2) PCI-X 66MHz - (2) PCI 32-bit/33MHz., Intel E7525 Chipset - Supports 8GB of Registered ECC DDR 266/333 SDRAM through 4 DIMM Sockets
Processors: (2) Intel Xeon 3 GHz w/ 2MB L2 Cache / 800FSB
Memory: Corsair TWINX2048-3200 2GB Kit - Matched Pair DDR400 (2 Dual Channel Sets / 4GB Total)
Case: Antec Titan 550 File Server Tower w/550W ATX Power Supply - 10 Drive Bays
Cooling: Koolance Aquian ICM-505+CPU Liquid Cooling System with CPU Cooling Blocks and DDR RAM Cooling Blocks.
HDD: (1) Western Digital 74GB SATA-150 10,000 RPM 8MB (Bare Drive) for OS and applications.
Floppy Drive: Sony 3.5" 1.44MB Black Internal Floppy
DVD-R: Shuttle XPC CR40B 16X Dual Layer DVD+/- Writer Internal / E-IDE / ATAPI

I was planning to order...

Video Card: PNY Quadro FX 540 Pro w/ DDR PCIe and Breakout Box
Question: Should I be concerned about the 128MB (vs. 256MB)? Should I put this in the PCIe X16 or X4 slot?

What sort of Audio Card do I need? The MoBo doesn't appear to have audio.

Is the Intel MoBo's integrated video going to pose any problems even though I intend to use the PCIe PNY Video Card (FX540V)?

Should I get additional cooling blocks for the HDD and the Video Card?

I need Video Storage HDD's. Should I go SATA? Am I limited to how many I can install with SATA? Should I RAID? Does that just make multiple HDD's look like one big HDD to the NLE WS?

Is E-IDE OK for the DVD-R? SATA?

DIY 3 shows a cool 5.25" Video Capture Connection Board. Is the Turtle Beach Video Advantage PCI sufficient? I want to import HDV from my Sony HC1 HDV Camcorder. Recommendations? Should I get the one that comes with the NLE software?

What else do I need besides the keyboard & monitors? Am I doing anything stupid yet?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: Dual Xeon DIY: Needing a little advice from the experienced.
on Feb 18, 2006 at 10:07:59 pm

I have never been a fan of Intel MOBOs. No specific reason though. Have you looked at SuperMicro MOBOs if your going the Xeon route?

Sony bought Vegas Video product and just place their name on it... So you don't need to match your camera brand to your software brand. I suggest you decide on your software program first before getting hardware. Read their recommened specs chart so you get the right components.

Average audio card or onboard audio will work but check with your software specs for your NLE. Same goes for your video card. Check to see what the NLE software wants. Some use the card for rendering so it can be more important verse some software could careless as long as it has 128 or 256.

IDE for DVD-R is fine since DVD drives are the slowest thing on the computer. If a SATA drive is about the same price I would get the SATA based one.

Hard drive storage: If you're buying new go with SATA and yes RAID is the only choice if your doing HDV.

capture cards are more for analog capture. Although I am no expert on all these new formats, but I suspect HDV uses firewire which most MOBOs have built in.

I can't comment on the liquid cooling. I think most NLE people use good fans and leave the liquid cololing to overclockers and heavy gamers that want cool looking computers that run quiet. (I would hate to be in the middle of a project and spring a leak)

re: what else you need.. I suggest reasonably good speakers Laughing

and skip the floppy drive.. you dont need one unless you plan to use it for some reason I can't think of.

my 2cents

Return to posts index

KennyMac
Re: Dual Xeon DIY: Needing a little advice from the experienced.
on Feb 19, 2006 at 11:09:53 am

Thanks Lee. Good advice. I've decided that Liquid Edition (6/7) will probably work best for me and may enable me to use the SmartSound custom music library I already invested in (for Pinnacle Studio 9) last year.

I'm going to take your advice and look into what they recommend for this specific NLE as far as the video graphics card and capture hardware go.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]