FORUMS: list search recent posts

Building new system-would like advice

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Straightline
Building new system-would like advice
on Feb 17, 2006 at 5:51:50 pm

Currently use Pinnacle 9+ (ver. 9.3.5.10) as my primary NLE (although also fool around with Premiere Elements 1)
My current system is as follows:

Hardware Information
--------------------
CPU : Intel Pentium 4 2533 MHz
Bus Speed : 133 MHz
Motherboard : ASUSTeK P4S8X
System : System System Name
BIOS : Award ASUS P4S8X ACPI BIOS Revision 1005
Memory : 1024 MB
Sound : C-Media Wave Device
Video : ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON 8500DV
Monitor : Samsung SuncMaster 191T

Will build, in the next month or so, a new system based on the hardware found in DIY4 http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

While the cost of either DIY4 system is acceptable, I have questions about the graphics card (PNY Quadro FX540 128MB PCIe). Is this card capable of capturing analog video from a vhs deck? Is it overkill for Pinnacle Studio9+ (soon to be upgraded to Studio 10.5). I plan on 10K system drive (80gb) and at least 500gb of SATA II storage, which leads me to the question; to raid or not raid? If I raid--in what configuration?

In advance--your opinions are most appreciated and need not be limited to the graphics card and raid configuration.

Thanks, Smile

Return to posts index

KennyMac
Re: Building new system-would like advice
on Feb 18, 2006 at 11:56:08 am

I'm not absolutely certain, but from what I can tell, the FX540(V) is an 'output' Video Card capable of both supporting dual monitors and with the optional Breakout Box (Pro Video), HDTV via Component Video Cables so you can easily connect to a recording device or Plasma TV for HD playback. It takes advantage of the PCIe (express) bus enhanced bandwidth capabilities eliminating the bottleneck that occurs when trying to output 'high bandwidth' HDTV streams through standard PCI or AGP ports. Verify your Motherboard has a spare PCIe (X16 or X4) capable of supporting the card.

I don't believe it is an 'input-type' capture card, which requires a separate piece of hardware. Pinnacle sells several as well as Turtle Beach (Video Advantage - PCI or USB). They cost anywhere from $90-150. To capture from a VCR, you want a capture card that supports either 'Composite' or 'S-Video' depending on you VCR output capabilities. Most will have that (along with the audio inputs).

Keep in mind that I'm the newbie to computers and NLE, but from what I've read over the past couple days... that's my take. Comments from others??

Return to posts index

gary_hend
on Mar 21, 2006 at 8:05:22 pm

My opinion is not to RAID. I have no specific explanation. I just worked on same systems with RAID and without RAID. It was much quickers and more capable system with no RAID

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Mar 22, 2006 at 8:31:46 pm

For video storage you want a dedicated hard drive. For consumer NLEs like Studio or Vegas Moovie Studio you are limited to just a couple of layers of video, so a RAID is not necessary.

For more professional work, especially with multiple layers of video, long format productions (over an hour), and complex filters and effects, use a RAID for your video storage.

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]