FORUMS: list search recent posts

building DIY #2 / BIG BLUE / Please critique. THANKS!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bibluebuilder
building DIY #2 / BIG BLUE / Please critique. THANKS!
on Feb 17, 2006 at 5:26:37 pm

WOW, THIS SITE IS AMAZING, ESPECIALLY THE FORUMS.
I WOULD BE HONORED IF ANYONE HERE WOULD PLEASE
CRITIQUE AND/OR OFFER ADVICE ON THIS BUILD. I PRICED
IT ALL OUT ON NEWEGG.COM LAST NIGHT AND I CAN DO
THIS FOR APPROX $1300 OR SO.

I WILL BE USING THIS SYSTEM FOR NLE. I AM AN
AMATUER AND WILL BE MAKING MY FIRST MOVIE.

WILL THIS RIG RUN PREMEIER PRO 1.5?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELPFUL TIPS!!!

(MASTER LIST SO FAR)

(CASE) ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA9NW-BK/500 Black
Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ATX 500W daul
12V (Ver. 2.03) , dual fan power supply w/
automatic fan speed control Power Supply
- Retail Model #: ATXA9NW-BK/500
Item #: N82E16811144168
$99.99

(VIDEO CARD) PNY VCQFX540-PCIE-PB-V Quadro FX540 128MB
DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: VCQFX540-PCIE-PB-V
Item #: N82E16814133133
$229

(MEMORY)
Update pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit
System Memory Model PQI25400-2GDB - Retail
Model #: PQI25400-2GDB
Item #: N82E16820141211
$172

(MOTHERBOARD)
Update ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775)
Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: P5LD2 Deluxe
Item #: N82E16813131539
$154

(CPU)
Update Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield 800MHz FSB
LGA 775 Dual Core, EM64T Processor Model BX80551PG2800FN
Retail
Model #: BX80551PG2800FN
Item #: N82E16819116213
$228

(VIDEO/STORAGE DRIVE)
two Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drives running in RAID (if that is possible)

(OS/SYSTEM DRIVE)
Western Digital 74GB SATA-150 raptor Hard Drive

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: building DIY #2 / BIG BLUE / Please critique. THANKS!
on Feb 18, 2006 at 9:45:08 pm

Looks good, but I would suggest a few things. Get the P4 830 (3.0Ghz) if the price is not much more.
If you are getting a power supply that comes with the case.. they are not the greatest power supplies. I suggest you shop for a specific PS and I feel a case is a case.. it just matters if you like the design inside and it has front jacks for USB and firewire.
I think I am using the same MOBO and it works fine with PP 1.5.
PP doesn't require a top of the line video card but I think they recommend 256MB, but if I remember 128 will work fine.

my 2 cent

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 18, 2006 at 9:55:43 pm

I agree. It looks pretty good. You don't really need a RAID to do SD/DV video editing. Single drives are fast enough to handle the throughput. If you do decide to configure a RAID, don't use the motherboard to do a hardware RAID. Ironically, a software configured RAID using Windows Disk Manager actually works faster than a simple hardware RAID. This isn't true of the high end RAID cards that have their own cpu and buffer RAM.

Having a Matrox RT.X100 based system, the one thing I find most helpful is the ability to preview the video full-screen on a TV monitor from the Premiere timeline. I get that ability, along with realtime effects, from the X100. You might want to check whether the video card you've selected provides a plugin for Premiere to provide the same preview capability. Other cards, like the Matrox Parhelia APVe, provide multiple monitors and realtime playback on a TV monitor.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 18, 2006 at 10:17:28 pm

John Q: If you do decide to configure a RAID, don't use the motherboard to do a harware RAID. Ironically, a software configured RAID using Windows Disk Manager actually works faster than a simple hardware RAID. This isn't true of the high end RAID cards that have their own cpu and buffer RAM.

what test results are you referring to, to say that? It is my understanding software RAID ties up more memory resources vs hardware.

Return to posts index

John Q
on Feb 19, 2006 at 12:00:53 am

You can read about it at http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=1491&p=2. The majority of simple hardware RAID's actually performed slower than using a software RAID.

When I built my RT2000 system, I used a Promise RAID controller, because I had to. The largest hard drives at the time were 30 GB, just barely useful for editing DV. When I built my RT.X100, hard drives were 120 GB, so I didn't need to use RAID.

Now that hard drives are 300+ GB and more than fast enough for DV, you don't really need RAID at all. You don't need the extra throughput of RAID until you're editing native HD, and then you really need a high end SCSI RAID to get the required throughput.

I'm currently researching building a new system (probably Intel 955X chipset) for the new Adobe Production Studio. Just like my current system, I do not plan to use RAID.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 19, 2006 at 3:45:59 pm

John Q,
I read your link to a June 18, 2001 article and saw no reference to software RAIDs. maybe it wasn't the correct link??
Plus I am no expert and I can be totally wrong on what I write in this forum, which is why I value your input!!!
What you read may have been a benchtest and it is possible that a write or read test in a software RAID could be faster than a harware RAID in a that situation. However, rendering large video files uses up CPU. and it is my understanding a software RAID uses more CPU than an onboard RAID. I admit it may be minimal usage difference and might not make a big difference.

here are some other links I found on a google search this morning.

This 2005 article is about RAID 1, which is a bit more intensive than RAID 0
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/expert/KnowledgebaseAnswer/0,289625,sid...

acutally this is a nice layout of pluses and minues of software v hardware http://www.icc-usa.com/customer/pages.php?pageid=16 the only thing it maybe discussing an add-on card and not an onboard controller.. they never mention it.

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=guide_raid and look at the chart 3/4 the way down

and this link is from adaptec (so take what you will) http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/markeditorial.html?sess=no&lan... It is a long article but read the section of "RAID in Software" and "RAID in Hardware"

In in the end an onboard RAID harware that does not have it's own memory cache is not as good as a card that does have one.

And the reason why I always preach RAID your video drive, is because the read write speed goes down as the drive fills up ( technically as you get closer to the edge to the platters) All this increases your chances of a dropped frame. Home video editors can live without RAID, but when you do it for a living and have several projects on your system.. better safe than sorry. (especially since most MOBOs have onboard RAID or the OS will do software RAID and the cost of an additional hard drive is only $70~140)

my 2 cents

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Feb 19, 2006 at 11:26:02 pm

I love the DIY 2. That's what my system was based on.

I agree with the suggestion of upgrading the PSU. I gave away the one that came with the Navigator because it was useless to me. I HIGHLY recommend the Enermax Noisetaker. Mine is a 600W and is much more than I need but I can grow into it. But the main plus is stability. And the last thing you want is a PSU to blow out in the middle of a project. Especially with internal hard drives in the line of fire.

I also recommend against the RAID config. I use 4 internal 250GB drives and keep them seperate. 1 for the boot drive, 2 for music storage and 1 for video. But I also have 3 additional 200+ externals for video. But my point is that you won't have any problem with speed or efficiency just running the seperate hard drives.

I like the ASUS boards a lot. I always recommend the P5AD2-E but I would much more recommend using some more cash and getting a better PSU above anything else.

And have fun! The case is absolutely terrific to work with during install!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]