FORUMS: list search recent posts

help with capturing/realtime-editing card please

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
video_editor
help with capturing/realtime-editing card please
on Feb 15, 2006 at 10:26:49 pm

Hi, newbie here so please ignore my ignorance!

I am going to upgrade my PC to dual AMD X2 4400+, 2GB RAM.

I also have firewire connection and I can capture video footage from my SONY camcorder to my PC.

I want to be able to capture the video (from my Sony camcorder), edit it in real time and export it back to sony miniDV or distribute it on DVD.

Here are my questions:
Do I have to buy a NLE capture card or will my PC be able to handle all the above without the card, but with the appropriate editing software (such as Premiere)?

If I have to buy a capturing/editing card, can you suggest me one with the best value for money, up to $400 (even for a few more $, if the card is great)? Is Pinnacle DV500 DVD a good choice or can I buy a better one with the same price?

Many thanks for any help

Return to posts index

tbelian
Re: help with capturing/realtime-editing card please
on Feb 17, 2006 at 1:43:08 pm

Personally, I thnk if your budget for an RT card is limited to $400-$500 dollars, then that money would be better spent on a more powerful system. That said, the pc you described would have plenty of power to get a fair amount of real time performance right from Premiere Pro, however, perhaps you could spend the $400 on bigger disk drives, or a SATA raid 0 configuration.

Personallly, I have an RT card (RT2500) but that card is no longer supported by Matrox. The card is great for my environment (not premiere pro), but is 'outdated'.

Hope that helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]