FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere Pro and virus software

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
blueturtles
Adobe Premiere Pro and virus software
on Feb 6, 2006 at 6:42:23 pm

quick question: do you guys turn off the virus software (and for that matter, any other programs that aren't related to the editing software) while you are editing? The machine is primarily an editing machine, but I do connnct to the internet once every couple of days. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks! Jon

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
Re: Adobe Premiere Pro and virus software
on Feb 8, 2006 at 3:38:18 pm

blueturtles,
Yes, turn off all programs that do not have ANYTHING to do with video editing if you insist on using your box for other programs, especially the internet.
Also turn off the CLOCK because clock cycles causes dropped frames
AND
have a seperate physical hard drive, either intnernal or external for capaturing video.
AND defrag that capture hard drive before, after, and I also take the time to defrag the video drive after two to three captures in a row.
Preview footage and ONLY capture the good takes - no need to have unnessary space taken up on the video drive.
I also defrag the C drive after turning off all background programs so the video editing program can run better.
So, in my case it can take 5 to 30 minutes to get ready for a, more or less, trouble free editing session. ALSO I save or save as after three or more changes.
The above works for me. I do my video on a laptop for I have Premiere Pro 1.5 and the laptop is my fastest box. On my slower box I have Premiere 6.5 so I can work on two projects at the same time. The slow box for simple stuff and the faster one for more complicated jobs such as blue/green screen, PIP and the like.
Hope this helps.
I am sure that others will voice thier favorite workflows.
All the best, have fun, make films,
Tom

Return to posts index

blueturtles
on Feb 8, 2006 at 8:21:18 pm

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate them. One thing I have never thought about is the "clock". How do you turn that off?

Thanks again, Jon

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Feb 8, 2006 at 10:05:54 pm

Right click on the toolbar at the bottom of the page.
It will bring up the taskbar and start menu properties.
Uncheck the "Show the Clock"
click on "apply"
click on "OK"
the menu will close and the clock will be gone from the taskbar.
Cheers,
Tom

Return to posts index

Matt Gray
on Feb 14, 2006 at 4:24:33 am

I don't know about the whole "preview and only capture the good takes" thing. That is insanely time consuming. But I guess it all depends on the size of projects one creates. I often have 30-40 hours of footage per project and I couldn't imagine sifting through it all pre-capture. And unless you have a stand-alone tape unit, that's just killer wear and tear on your camera.

And what kind of a poor machine would you have to have in which turning off the clock makes a difference? Sounds sad.

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Feb 14, 2006 at 12:20:03 pm

QTofW,
Thirty to forty hours???? Shocked and YOU don't preview and put it ALL on your machine?????
I see by your stats that you have a terabite? of hard drive and a fast machine with 4gb of system ram.
That is my dream machine....jobs and cfo approval are the only things in my way. Sad

"turn off the clock" is from the days of slower machines. I have two editing machines. One a fast laptop with Premiere Pro 1.5 and a PentiumII 450. When I got my P6.5 and the DV500 card (which is the slow machine) one had to turn off the clock and ALL programs running the background (virus etc being one), not be on the internet AND before MFTS you could only capture about 20 minutes at a time. Being from the days of film and movieola editing machines it was sure better than a maxium film load of ten minutes.
Now on my PP1.5 and scene detection, one is limited only by your hard drive space ... such as your terabite of storage.
AND since you have a killer machine, why not go the extra mile and get a stand alone tape deck so you don't put that stress on your camera??? Very Happy
What kind of assignments do you do on your machine?
I would agree that if you are on a time crunch then doing a prieview and marking in and out points would be time consuming. However I do not know if anyone has done a time test on which is faster:
1: Load it all and then edit
or
2: View and choose in and out and do batch capture with only the best and then edit.
What about it Videoguys Wink
Yours,
Tom

Return to posts index

blueturtles
on Feb 20, 2006 at 3:05:26 pm

Speaking of a stand alone decks. I was wondering if one of the small handheld miniDV cameras ($350-$700 range) will work with Adobe Premiere Pro (1.0). I am trying to save the video heads on my Canon XL1 camera. I just want to use one of the cheap consumer cameras to import / capture the video.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]