FORUMS: list search recent posts

SATA drive or PATA (IDE) drive for a second disk?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brucem
SATA drive or PATA (IDE) drive for a second disk?
on Feb 1, 2006 at 8:32:03 pm

I have an Athlon 64 x2 4200 system with a single 320 GB PATA (IDE) disk drive. From what I've read, I should add a second drive for storing video files. My question is whether I should add another parallel drive or can I/should I add a serial drive? (I don't want to get rid of the parallel drive; just add a second drive.) If a serial drive is recommended, should it become my system drive or my video drive?

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: SATA drive or PATA (IDE) drive for a second disk?
on Feb 4, 2006 at 5:47:04 pm

Hi brucem

Parallel ATA channels exist on all motherboards, letting you connect up to four drives. Newer motherboards provide serial ATA, but typically have ports only for two drives.

If you’re using parallel ATA and have only two hard disks, make each one a master, putting one on each of the two IDE ports. If you have a hard disk and a CD-ROM, make the hard disk the master on the primary IDE port and the CD-ROM the master on the secondary port. If you have two hard disks and a CD-ROM, put both hard disks on the primary port, isolating the CD-ROM on the secondary port. The general strategy is to group faster devices together and away from slower ones. The idea behind splitting two hard drives (if that’s all you’re connecting) is that it gives the operating system the option to deal with the two independently.

I think for your purposes, you can connect a parallel drive as the master drive on the secondary IDE port. Your existing drive can remain as the master drive on the primary IDE port.

Return to posts index

brucem
on Feb 4, 2006 at 10:55:33 pm

Thank you for the response, Gary. What I was wondering is whether I can mix a serial hard disk with my existing parallel disk? If this is possible, then is there any real benefit to doing so vs. sticking with another parallel disk as my second drive? My computer has a primary IDE port for my existing parallel disk, a secondary IDE port for my DVD ROM and DVD-RW, and two unused SATA ports.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Feb 5, 2006 at 12:03:42 am

I would suggest any new drives you are purchasing.. to be a SATA drive. Intel is trying to phase out PATA/IDE channels and I suspect in 2 years IDE will be a thing of the past. just like ISA slots. (although some ISA slots still exist but not on mainstream MOBOs)

I suspect maybe in two years I will be telling you to not purchase a platter based hard drive and only buy a memory chip based hard drive.

use the new SATA drive as the media drive, but as others know I am always preaching: RAID two+ drives for video storage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]