FORUMS: list search recent posts

Installed 1394 Fire Wire But Pinnacle 9 can't capture video

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yipyiaa
Installed 1394 Fire Wire But Pinnacle 9 can't capture video
on Jan 30, 2006 at 2:29:19 pm

I had to install a 1394 fire wire in order to use my dv camcorder but now Pinnacle 9 says it cannot capture the video because the data rate on drive C is less than the required rate of 4444/kbyte/second. I did a defrag to try and speed it up which I guess helped a little but not enough. Before defrag it was Read 2551/kbyte/sec & Write 1916/kbyte/sec. After defrag it is Read 3167 & Write 1887. I'm not sure if that's better or worse! I really don't know a whole lot about all this so if anybody can help, in terms that I can understand, please let me know. Thanks!!

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: Installed 1394 Fire Wire But Pinnacle 9 can't capture video
on Jan 31, 2006 at 11:04:58 am

Hi yipyiaa

Couple of things to try here to work around this data rate problem.

1) Enable DNA on the drive. On Windows XP (assuming you run WinXP)

a) Go to 'Control Panel' => 'System' => ''hardware' tab.
b) Click 'device manager' => 'IDE controller'
c) Right click on 'primary IDE Controller' on drop down menu select 'properties' and select 'advanced settings' tab
d) set transfer mode to 'DMA'

2) Both your hard drives should be on the primary controller on the motherboard. Any DVD/CD drives should be on the secondary.
If a hard disk is on the same controller as the CD/DVD then this will slow the hard disk down.

3) Your CPU could be a bit slow ... can you try adding more RAM and try that? I'm not saying that that will fix the problem, but its worth a try.

4) Are you on Windows XP or Windows 98?

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Jan 31, 2006 at 11:21:13 am

Dear yipyiaa,
From your post it sounds like you are capturing to your main system C drive. Is this so? If so, then capture to a hard drive that is ONLY used to capture your video to. Main reason is your C drive runs the program/programs and the other HD only has the video on it. Also disable all other programs running in the back ground, such as Virus checkers and your clock, yes the clock intruups the capture with updateing the time and you drop frams and SLOOOOOOOW down the capture.
Just a thought,
Tom

Return to posts index

gary_hend
on Jan 31, 2006 at 11:52:10 am

Tom Elliott: Dear yipyiaa,
From your post it sounds like you are capturing to your main system C drive. Is this so? If so, then capture to a hard drive that is ONLY used to capture your video to. Main reason is your C drive runs the program/programs and the other HD only has the video on it. Also disable all other programs running in the back ground, such as Virus checkers and your clock, yes the clock intruups the capture with updateing the time and you drop frams and SLOOOOOOOW down the capture.
Just a thought,
Tom

Good point, Tom. I agree. I think you need a dedicated hard drive to capture video to. In your case, you may need to setup a separate hard drive in say D: which could be a secondary hard drive compared to your primary one in C:

Return to posts index

yipyiaa
on Jan 31, 2006 at 1:06:18 pm

Hi Gary & Tom,
Thanks for your replies! I am running Windows XP and I checked the set transfer mode and it shows "DMA if available". Gary, I don't understand your 2nd option about the controllers. Sorry, but I don't understand a lot about this type of thing! As for adding RAM, does that mean adding more memory? Tom, I am capturing on C drive. How do I change to another drive? Stupid me, all this time I thought there was only one hard drive, C. Thank you both for your continued help!

Return to posts index

Tom Elliott
on Jan 31, 2006 at 5:58:59 pm

yipyiaa
You should have either another hard drive 40GB or more at 7200rpm or an external USB/firewire to be used to capture your video to.
Your C drive is doing a heck of a lot of work as it is, that is why most video guys have a standalone computer, NOT connected to the internet.
This is a great forum for basics. Somewhere on these forums are "how to" guidlines.
Have fun Razz
Tom

Return to posts index

gary_hend
on Feb 4, 2006 at 5:26:04 pm

Hi yipyiaa,

1) The bit about controllers - it's a bit complicated. But I'll try to explain it here.

In virtually all computer motherboards, you have a primary and secondary IDE port. Each port usually allows you to connect 2 IDE devices, one master and one slave.

1) Let's say you have only two hard disks - you can make each
one a master, putting one on each of the two IDE ports.

2) If you have a hard disk and a CD-ROM, you can make the hard disk the master on the primary IDE port and the CD-ROM the master on the secondary port.

3) If you have two hard disks and a CD-ROM, put both hard disks on the
primary port, isolating the CD-ROM on the secondary port.

The general strategy is to group faster devices together and away from slower ones.

Scenario #2 above is what I meant when I said both your hard drives should be on the primary controller (IDE port) on the motherboard. Any DVD/CD drives should be on the secondary.

The idea behind splitting two hard drives (if that’s all you’re connecting) is that it gives the operating system the option to deal with the two independently.

2) Yes, adding RAM does mean adding more memory to your system.

yipyiaa: Hi Gary & Tom,
Thanks for your replies! I am running Windows XP and I checked the set transfer mode and it shows "DMA if available". Gary, I don't understand your 2nd option about the controllers. Sorry, but I don't understand a lot about this type of thing! As for adding RAM, does that mean adding more memory? Tom, I am capturing on C drive. How do I change to another drive? Stupid me, all this time I thought there was only one hard drive, C. Thank you both for your continued help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]