FORUMS: list search recent posts

DIY4 - Dual Core - Sneak Peak

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Bettan
DIY4 - Dual Core - Sneak Peak
on Jan 29, 2006 at 12:06:52 am

Ok guys, the parts are coming in, we starty assembly next week, then test. We are on target for the article to post around Valantines day. We are building the Black (Asus P5WD2 Premium mobo) & Green (Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo) machines first.

We're putting together our DIY4 machines for the next article. It's going to be dual core, and for the first time we will build more than 1 machine for the article. We're going to go with the Pentium D 930 and an AMD X2 64. We're in the final stages of research and the motherboards and parts are ordered!

I'm going to post this page as a "sneak peak" article that will also include our resaearch notes. Please keep in mind that on DIY3, we ended up having to go through several builds until we got it right. We learned alot, and I am confident we've picked the best possible motherboards for the project. Hopefully our research was accurate and the official article gets posted in a couple of weeks.

DIY4 - Dual Core http://www.videoguys.com/DIY4.html

Gary

Return to posts index

grnarrow
Re: DIY4 - Dual Core - Sneak Peak
on Jan 29, 2006 at 2:16:34 am

I'm looking forward to the final article. Are there items you left out of the price list? Because the items listed don't add up to the totals given.

I'm curious why you opted not to use the quadro video card in the AMD machine.

Are you going to do some sort of benchmarking for the machines, like the premiere pro benchmark? http://mysite.verizon.net/wgehrke/ppbm/

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jan 29, 2006 at 3:31:56 am

First, we are still building the machines. this is a sneak peak. nothing is final.

We've also gotten some prices that have changed since the original parts list.

I wanted to test a non-Quadro card as well. To see if there is a difference with different NLEs.

Benchmarks - GREAT question. We are actually thinking about creating some of our own video editing centric benchmark tests. This is a lot of work, so it may not get done for this article.
Gary

Return to posts index

samcam
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:45:46 pm

Obviously it's early days yet, but at a guess, do you think a Dual Core Vegas machine will be able to cope with HDV editing?

Return to posts index

Mtimmy
on Jan 31, 2006 at 10:47:02 pm

Thanks for the sneak peak!!!

I just took the leap and bought a few weeks ago and went with a Dual Xeon setup.

You mentioned alternate graphic cards... I'm setting up with a Matrox APVe. Heard anything or thought about those as a option?

Again, thanks for all your efforts. I bought more confidently because of the information provided by your website!

Michael

Return to posts index

AVGeekDT
Great Minds Think Alike
on Feb 2, 2006 at 9:39:34 pm

Man it is nice to see that we are all on the same page. I am a newbie to you boards but I have been working on getting a system built that my I can use for minor gaming and mainly editing. I read this article and I could have saved myself some major time had I read it BEFORE i started.
Thanks Vguys for all the info you share. It is a tramendous helps to the rest of us.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

AVGeekDT!!!

Return to posts index

jadeox
on Feb 11, 2006 at 9:11:28 am

whoa! I've been researching parts to build my video editing machine since last August. Read all of the DIY Machine 1, 2 and 3 and was about to order my D 920 and Asus P5WD2 this week to build my video editing machine.

Valentine's Day huh? I guess I've waited all this time, a few more days can't hurt. It will also give me a chance to compare my research parts with what the pro think is best.

Pentium D 920 4MB
Asus P5WD2 Premium
Corsair TWIN2X2048-5400C4
WD SATA HD 250GB (1 for OS, 2 for Raid 0)
Antec 2.0 500w
Scythe SCNJ-1000

I will use my x700 128MB video card to start with until i can find a video card that i like. I already have an aluminum LanBoy case still sitting in the box, hopefully it will fit that Scythe Ninja.

Return to posts index

jadeox
on Mar 8, 2006 at 12:00:41 pm

I couldn't wait any longer so i went ahead and built my machine. All that time waiting gave me a chance to do more research, and i'm glad i did. i went w/ AMD over Intel for better performance, lower power consumption and less heat. i know people say Intel is better w/ premiere, but from all the comparision tests i saw, i'll stick w/ AMD.

AMD 4400+
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Corsair XMS Twinx2048-3200C2Pro
WD SATA HD 250GB (1 for OS, 2 for Raid 0)
Antec 2.0 500w
Antec LanBoy
NEC 3550A dvd burner
Connect 3D ATI x700
Scythe SCNJ-1000 - the stock HSF is quiter than my old machine. but i really want quite, so will be replacing that w/ the SCNJ-1000 in the next week or so.

Return to posts index

gary_hend
on Mar 9, 2006 at 1:53:15 pm

Hi jadeox,

The ASUS A8N-SLI Premium is a good motherboard. Throw in 2 graphics cards (e.g. GeForce 7800GTs) and it will blow your graphics performance sky high!!

Return to posts index

jadeox
on Mar 11, 2006 at 9:31:42 am

Hi Gary,

I have no doubt that a dual 7800GT will kick my video performance into outter space.

But at the current price of about $280 each, i can't justify the price to performance ratio vs. my current video card. right now the x700 is performing better than i expected, it's a big step up from my 9600xt. if i were going to spend that much on a video card, i wouldn't even build, i would just get a complete turnkey system.

i did pick my board for it's upgradability. maybe when the prices of these cards drop, i'll take your advise and put in two cards. it might be a long wait, but my current card is keeping me happy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]