FORUMS: list search recent posts

PCIe+SLI needed for future of video capture?

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Regon
PCIe+SLI needed for future of video capture?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 3:43:45 am

I am looking at new motherboards to buy and I want to make sure they will permit further expansion when I find the 'perfect' video capture solution. Having to buy a new motherboard just to support that card would not be good. Do you think that PCI-Express video capture cards will require SLI to work well, or that a single PCIe (x16) slot will be more than sufficient for even high-end video capture cards to come?

Regon

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: PCIe+SLI needed for future of video capture?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 4:58:44 pm

Single should be fine.

I doubt they will use SLI. It complicates things to me. They will probably just have a tun of power packed into one card.

think about it this way. Some gaming machines have two BFG GEFORCE 6600 cards hooked up using SLI. BUT - one 7800 GTX card is going to kick those two 6600 cards asses.

ie. For FPS in a video game - the 2x SLI's aren't always on top
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viii/page11.html

Return to posts index

Regon
Re: PCIe+SLI needed for future of video capture?
on Jan 28, 2006 at 11:30:50 pm

tbagg: Single should be fine.

I doubt they will use SLI. It complicates things to me. They will probably just have a tun of power packed into one card.

Packing everything into one card raises space issues, not just for chips, but for connectors on the outside. I've seen cards that have adapters to let them include VGA-Out along with Digital-Out and Composite-In, where an adapter permitted the VCR to combine the yellow, red, and white outputs into the single cord going into the Composite-In connector. I find myself worried by whether the overall signal quality is going to be compromised by transmitting all of those signals over a single cable.

I can see where a company might want to take advantage of SLI to provide a pair of low-cost, "does not provide everything" Video-In cards that could potentially be combined with each other to merge their feature-sets. For example, see my ideal (or 'perfect') list of features:
http://videoguys.forumexperts.com/viewtopic.php?t=111303
I have not seen any one card offering all of these, but I could easily find all of those by combining TWO cards. The problem has been that those cards are separate, and were not made to work together. I would have to play each tape into the computer twice, once for each card, which is a ridiculous waste of time. But with SLI, two separate cards that, by themselves, do different things, COULD be combined like that (if I am understanding the technology correctly).

Performance for games can be put into one card, but I can easily see the Video-Capture mindset being a whole different ballgame Smile

Regonn

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]