FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on my system

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pob
Need advice on my system
by
on Jan 27, 2006 at 3:58:05 pm

I realize that I did not follow the DYI series of building a video editing computer, but I had already built my system a while back and would like a "second set of eyes" to let me know if this system will work well enough for video capturing and editing. I will preface this by admitting that I am a newbie in the realm of DV and AV editing but have always wanted to do this for a long time. Here is what I have in my system.

Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X deluxe, rev. 2.0 (bios rev. 100Cool
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2162 MHz)
RAM: Corsair TWINX 2048-3200 (XMS3200) DDR 400 w/heat spreaders
Graphics: ATI X800XL (256MB) AGP
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
HHD: WD Caviar 40GB (7200 rpm) for my operating system and applications
HHD: WD Caviar 200GB (7200 rpm) for rendering and storage
Optical Drive: Memorex 52-24-52 CD-RW
Optical Drive: TDK 440N DVD -/+ RW
PS: Enermax 465w
Case: Antec SX1040B

The only other hardware change I was thinking about was upgrading my CPU to an AMD Athlon XP 3200 which would fully utilize the RAM and the 400Mhz FSB. I also have another hard drive (not hooked up). It's a WD 250GB, and I'm guessing that I could not RAID this with the 200GB drive.

My main goal is to convert my old VHS and Hi-8mm tapes to DVD. I have firewire capability onboard the motherboard and I also have a mini-DV camcorder with firewire, so I hope this will help the process.
So, finally, my question is what advice and /or suggestions could you give me to help this come to fruition? Will I also need a video capture device or could I make do with what I have?

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: Need advice on my system
on Jan 28, 2006 at 6:39:19 pm

It sounds to me like you just need a video editing/capture program and you are all set. You need to hook the VCR out into your camcorder... and then the signal should get sent through the firewire to the cpu if your camera has an analog to digital converter.

This might help you:
http://www.signvideo.com/conv-v-to-d.htm

Also - i wouldn't upgrade from a 3000 to a 3200. I don't think you will notice much difference at all. It's not like going to a 4800 X2.

Hope that helps

Return to posts index

jadeox
Re: Need advice on my system
on Feb 12, 2006 at 7:21:58 am

you can Raid if you want, but it will stop at 200GB, the limit is your smallest drive. So will you end up with about 50GB on the other drive that you can't use.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]