FORUMS: list search recent posts

how to build big blue

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
hlender
how to build big blue
on Jan 26, 2006 at 4:13:03 am

I would like to build big blue. However my experience with building computers is very limited. I already have some of the component parts. My problem is that I am apprehensive about tackling building a computer. I have changed harddrives put ram and fans in, nothing difficult. Should I try it or leave it too a pro. I'm willing to dive in but I'm a bit scared. My friend that built my current computer can't do it anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.

Harry

Return to posts index

tbagg
Re: how to build big blue
on Jan 26, 2006 at 3:15:18 pm

Hi -

Its a good skill to have and you will get the feeling of satisfaction once it's all put together. It's also good to know the little details. If you think you can do it, and you have time - I say go for it. (just make sure you have a seperate computer standing by that you can surf the web to research questions that come up while you build it.)

BUT - in saying that... I am going to have guys from my work put mine together while I hover over them. If I didn't know anyone I would probably just pay a pro. It's only $30-$50 bucks (and maybe cheaper if you buy a tun of parts from them). It will save you a tun of hassle since these guys are specialized and do it all the time. (just print them off the DIY2 article!)

I should warn you that I had an experience about 5 years ago where I bought a motherboard, ram and a chip for about $500 and did the upgrade myself... I wasn't wearing a static bracelet and I had socks on a carpet. Somehow I screwed up the board and the ram via static electricity. I was trying to get it to work forever when finally I gave up and brought it to a friend to look at who told me that bad news. I had to spend another $450 and re-buy the parts. (luckily my CPU chip was fine). So yeah...

-Trevor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]