FORUMS: list search recent posts

PYRO 1394a card and Windows XP

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
coyote
on Jan 25, 2006 at 7:17:03 pm

I have an older PYRO 1394a card and an older Canon Vistura camera. This equipment ran perfectly with Media Studio Pro on a Pentium III 700 with a 40 gig hard drive.
I now have a Pentium IV 3.0 with 160 Gig hard drive, and I periodically (say every 2-3 minutes) get a glitch in my captured video. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: PYRO 1394a card and Windows XP
on Jan 26, 2006 at 3:53:38 am

Yes, add a second 7200 rpm hard drive on a different port than your boot drive and put all your video on it. Windows will always have priority access to your boot drive and will periodically HAVE to change something on your boot drive, which is typically also your swap drive. Windows taking over the boot/video drive = dropped frames.

Return to posts index

coyote
on Jan 26, 2006 at 3:45:28 pm

Thanks for the quick response.
I think I may have what you suggested. I have the operating system and Adobe Premier Elements 1.0 on a 40 gig 7200 rpm drive, saving my video on the 160 gig SATA drive.
I'm not sure about things like DMA, but the 40 gig drive has DMA activated.

Return to posts index

John Q
Re: PYRO 1394a card and Windows XP
on Jan 27, 2006 at 2:23:34 am

That sounds correct. You do need to have DMA enabled on the 160 GB drive, but it probably already is by default. It also needs to be formatted as a single large drive as NTFS, not FAT32. Partitioning would slow it down. I have read about some people having problems with capturing video on SATA controllers that aren't set to ATA mode in the bios. Be aware that changing the SATA mode will lose any data on that drive.

Finally, you need to disable any antivirus and firewall software, when acquiring your video.

After that, open device manager and see if you have any devices reporting configuration errors. Check the motherboard, video card, and sound card manufacturer's websites for updated drivers.

Return to posts index

coyote
on Jan 28, 2006 at 1:41:10 pm

Thanks again John Q. I have checked everything you suggested and can't find a problem. I am beginning to think the problem is in the old 1394a card, the firewire cable, or the relatively ancient Vistura camera.
I am going to borrow a newer Canon camcorder to eliminate the camera as a problem.

Return to posts index

coyote
PYRO 1394a and Windows XP
on Jan 30, 2006 at 6:12:47 pm

I replaced the Canon Vistura with a newer Canon, and the problem did not reapear. I used the tape from the Vistura in the newer Canon. 8 minutes of video without a dropped frame. Looks like a new camera is in order, although it appears that the old Vistura makes OK tapes, its just the output that's a problem. Experience tells me that an attempt to get a repair will cost as much as a new camera!

Return to posts index

coyote
PYRO 1394a card with Windows XP
on Jan 30, 2006 at 10:18:33 pm

Now I am confused. Loaded my old Media Studio Pro 6.0 software, and it was able to capture over 8 minutes of video without a dropped frame although there were a few sound glitches that showed up when I tried to edit the video in Adobe Premier Elements 1.0.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]