FORUMS: list search recent posts

re: Big Blue Short

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nichchr
re: Big Blue Short
on Jan 25, 2006 at 4:31:33 pm

Some time ago I built Big Blue and have been totally impressed. Thanks Video Guys! However, I've started to run into a problem that's kinda odd:

Whenever I pug in a SanDisk, compact flash card reader into a front USB port it shorts out my system and it reboots (and not even fully at that! I end up having to CTRL ALT DEL to get it to reboot correctly). To be more specific: it's not simply plugging in the devise that cause the short; it's when the metal of the USB plug on the device touches the metal housing on the case that surrounds the USB and Firewire ports. Like the game of operation, if I can get the device plugged in without touching the walls, the patient lives and all is well. Touching the wall causes the crash.

I've tried opening the case (without taking it apart) and tried to kinda seperate the wires behind there a bit, but it didn't seem to do much. Mind you, I probably wasn't as thorough I should've been.

But before I really have at it, I just wanted to know if anyone has run into this before or has any advise. Is there something in particular I should be looking for? Someplace less obvious I should examine?

Thanks!

ps. This is a really great box and I'm looking forward to building the DIY 4 system next! I need a new system at work!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]