FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Elements 2.0 jerky playback

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rick_dallas
Premiere Elements 2.0 jerky playback
on Jan 23, 2006 at 7:29:37 pm

I recently purchased Premiere Elements 2.0. I captured my first clip and now trying to edit it but my video playback is jerky. I'm trying to solve this problem.

Here's my current system configuration:

Windows XP Pro
Radeon 9250 128m PCI video card
(2) 7200 EIDE drives (1) dedicated for video editing)
Dell 1.6ghz process
768m of memory

Obviously I would like to have more horsepower but don't have 3k to drop right now.

XP has all current patches and hotfixes. Video card driver is most current. In fact, all of the hardware drivers are the most current versions available.

My first question is anyone running Premiere Elements 2.0 on a system similar to mine and having good results? I understand that performance might be a tad slow and understand this but video playback looks more like a series of still pictures with a little video thrown in every once in awhile!

Things I have done to try and resolve the problem:

Defragged both drives.
Running only Premeier Elements (no other apps running)
turned off virus scan while running
rendered the clips before playback
turned the autoscroll feature off
have changed all my xp and video card settings toward the "performance settings"
tried running the tutorial video (instead of mine). No difference.

According the specs on the product box, this product should run on a 800 mgz with 256m of memory. I understand that minimal requirements are pretty much a joke but given that I have twice the cpu speed and 3x the memory stated, it seems like my system would run their product.

I have been using Studio 9 with good success.

Do you think I need a bigger machine or is there something else I need to check?

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: Premiere Elements 2.0 jerky playback
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:22:10 pm

Hi there

Please read my other post about the minimum requirements you need for video editing in general.

http://videoguys.forumexperts.com/viewtopic.php?t=111309&highlight=

Return to posts index

georgew
on Feb 21, 2006 at 1:20:55 am

looks like he exceeds your requirements, so that doesn't help much.

In my eperience, jerky playback could be you have run out of some reasouce.... like cpu or bus bandwidth... But a cause I have seen a lot is the cheap video cards.

They may have a lot of memory, but they may not be fast. If you play the clip in a small window, is it smooth?

You have a pci video card, which will be slower than the agp cards. But to get a really fast card, you have to spend some money. The video card I have in my vt4 has about 5 pounds of copper heat-sink and a big fan, it almost has more cooling than the main processor... the heatsink weighs more...

If your video card doesn't weigh 5 pounds and have a large fan, it may not be beefy enough for jerk-free video.

Now some video cards directly support hd video without weighing 5 pounds, but they do it in a special video full frame mode, so you only get smooth playback in full-screen mode (and then only if you are in the right video mode).

The big memory cards are for games to do lots of layers, and flip through them in animations, and other game-oriented tricks. But you can have a lot of memory and a slow video processor, and that will limit the quality of the playback.

Get you one of the nvida chipped cards, like the Leadtek Winfast A400 with the nvida GF 6800 chipset.

Return to posts index

Doofer
on Apr 9, 2006 at 2:41:48 pm

I fear the problem is from those nice people at Adobe and their poor software. I have been running Elements 1.0 with luverly full-screen smooth playback, although of course you have to transcode all your non-DV footage to DV format first.

Elements 2.0 claims to be able to use other codecs, but I too can only get about 2-3 fps... unless I recode to DV format. So they prise the cash from me so I _don't_ have to transcode anything non-DV, only to find, oh, sorry, I do after all if I want to be able to preview anything. Maddening.

I'm no expert, but if only it 'conformed' everything to DV, at least it would work properly!

Return to posts index

John Q
on Apr 9, 2006 at 7:39:48 pm

You say you have two EIDE hard drives. One should be master on the primary IDE port as the boot drive. Windows and all programs, including Premiere, should be loaded on this drive.

The second drive should be on the secondary IDE port. If it's on the same IDE port as the boot drive, you'll have problems, because Windows will always take priority and only one drive will talk at a time on an IDE port. This dedicated video drive should also be formatted with NTFS as a single drive. Partitioning slows down performance, and turn off indexing on this drive.

If you have an optical drive on the same port as the video drive, you may have conflicts between the hard drive and optical drive. It doesn't happen very often any more, but there still are incompatibilities. I'd move the DVD burner to the slave on the primary IDE port with the boot drive.

Return to posts index

Wesley Cardone
on Apr 11, 2006 at 4:53:44 pm

rick_dallas: I have been using Studio 9 with good success.

Do you think I need a bigger machine or is there something else I need to check?

I think you answered your own question. The fact that your current hardware will peform tells you that something is amiss with the software configuration.

Maybe you should continue to use Studio for capture.

If you are at your wit's end as to what might be the problem, don't neglect to uninstall and then re-install Elements. It's worth a try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]