FORUMS: list search recent posts

sloooow raid!

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noedig
sloooow raid!
on Jan 23, 2006 at 6:52:47 pm

I'm building Big Blue. I finally got my raid working but when I used a benchmark tool to test the system drive and the raid, my system drive has a write speed of around 36 mb/sec and my raid drive was around 10 mb/sec. I am using 3 identical Seagate 250g hard drives (1 system, 2 on raid) doing stripe0. I am using the Asus PD5R2-E premium motherboard.

I can see the large raided drive, but it just won't perform. I have downloaded the latest Silicon Image driver for the raid controller.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
Re: sloooow raid!
on Jan 24, 2006 at 1:36:13 am

when you're in disk management do you see 2 or 3 hard drives listed??

Did you connect the 2 drives to the lower row of SATA connectors?

You almost spell it out, that you're are doing a hardware raid verses software. (since you mentioned silicon image, it means hardware to me.)

Be sure to verify your in RAID 0 in your SI RAID BIOS has everything set properly.
What is your cluster size, that you set up?

do a test with a different software program to test read write speed.

--I know it's not much help, but it is a start--

Return to posts index

noedig
on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:56:32 am

In disk management I see two hard drives, one 250G system drive and one 500G drive.

Yes, the two hard drives that I have set up for the raid are connected to the bottom row of SATA connectors on the motherboard.

I assume I have been setting up a hardware raid. I went into the raid setup in the bio (F4) and created the raid using the above mentioned two hard drives. It is a raid0. I have tried to let the setup be done automatically and I have tried to do it manually, both using the largest cluster size (which I, for some odd reason, believe to be the best) and the smallest.

I will look into trying to benchmark it with another program. Do you have a suggestion? I have been using Fresh Diagnose. I also did my own "benchmark test" but copying a dvd full of video clips to my system drive and to my raid. The system drive kicked my raid's butt.

Thank you for your help, if anything else comes to mind, please...please...let me know.

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 24, 2006 at 4:49:49 am

I got'a sleep on this one.

you shouldn't use the smallest or largest cluster. I forget if it is 16? pick one just a notch or two above the default. BUT I don't think that would slow you down as you described.

which slots did you put the hard drives into? 1+2 or 3+4... you might try to switch (if you can) and see if that changes anything.

Did you verify the main BIOS settings in MOBO are properly set for your hard drives?
I just have not heard of this problem.

try swapping out the SATA cables too... never know... I am not familar enough with the SATA cables to know if they can be defective and still work.

Doesn't ASUS have a probe progam to check voltage and stuff

Return to posts index

Evan Newsome
on Jan 25, 2006 at 12:30:30 am

Another worthless thought I had.

Un-RAID your drives and set them up as normal drives, format and test the drives' read write speeds with your benchmark program.

(you probably will have to change your bios setting. be sure to use the same SATA ports/connector numbers if ASUS will let you, so you know if both ports are functiioning ok)

Return to posts index

noedig
on Jan 25, 2006 at 2:44:55 am

I did set up the drives as normal drives although I used the other SATA ports (along with the system drive) I didn't see in the motherboard book that I could use the SATA raid ports. Anyways, after formatting the drives they both hit around 25-31 mb/sec, so...it would seem the drives are fine. I''m tempted to just keep them as two seperate storage devices. Capturing to them won't be a problem. I had also moved the drives to the SATA raid ports 3 and 4, and replaced the SATA cables.

oh well. If anything else comes to mind let me know. Thanks so very much for your interest and help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]