FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and no audio.

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ralfaro
Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and no audio.
on Jan 23, 2006 at 5:11:46 pm

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and have made about 10 DVDs. They have all been created with the same steps. I build a PC just for doing Video Editing. It has an Asus board with 3.0 P4, 2 GB RAM, 2x 250 GB HDDs striped to 500 GB video drive.

6 DVDs work on both of my home DVD players, but 4 (2 projects x2 discs) only plays sound on 1 of my home players. 2 discs of the same project use Adobe theme for weddings. When you start the dvd, the theme has wedding music, but the video has no music.

Any ideas. I am using pretty good quality DVDs. Same I have been using to copy personal movies, with no problems.

Return to posts index

gary_hend
Re: Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0 and no audio.
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:39:40 pm

Hi ralfaro

I'm not sure if your DVD player is compatible with the DVDs produced.

At the most basic level, in the realm of DVD, we are primarily interested in two format types: the physical layer, which determines the recordability
of a DVD disc, and the application layer, which governs how the data is stored on a disc and how it is played. There are three broad physical formats: read-only (DVD-ROM), recordable (DVD-R and
DVD+R), and rewritable (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW).

And there are three broad application formats: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, and DVD-Audio. Confused? As you can see, the name “DVD-ROM” is used for both a physical and an application format, making the differentiation quite confusing!

Sometimes referred to as the physical layer, the capability of a DVD to be recorded to (or not) and to be rewritten (that is, erased and rerecorded) defines a format.

• Read-only: DVD-ROM, with its large data storage capacity, is perfect for delivering copyright-protected content such as movies and music, as well as multimedia and interactive applications like video games, training materials, and more.

• Recordable: DVD-R and DVD+R are write-once, read-many storage formats akin to CD-R and CD+R. They cannot be erased and rewritten. DVD-R and DVD+R discs can only be written to once, with the data being recorded sequentially.

There are two types of DVD-R:
• DVD-R(A), or DVD-R for Authoring, is aimed at the professional market and is used to generate masters for production recording.
• DVD-R(G), or DVD-R for General, was developed for the consumer market.

The “authoring” and “general” formats use different recording laser wavelengths, so they cannot be written interchangeably by the same devices. They can, however, both be read by DVD players or drives that support DVD-R media. DVD+R may, according to its proponents, through a different technology approach, offer some advantages over DVD-R, depending on your needs. (Read more about the +R and +RW formats in the list below.) But DVD-R(A) is still one of the most compatible formats available and has remained, therefore, the choice of many DVD professionals.

Rewritable: The three variations of the rewritable format—DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW— can be written to, erased, and rewritten, over and over again.

• DVD-RAM, the first rewritable DVD format brought to market could, in its infancy, only be written while in a special cartridge because even a fi ngerprint left on the disc surface before writing would cause errors. Double-sided DVD-RAM discs came in sealed cartridges, which meant they couldn’t even be inserted into standard DVD-ROM drives. But DVD-RAM technology is evolving rapidly, becoming more and more compatible to remain viable and competitive. Some DVD-RAM writers can now also write to DVD-R and DVD-RW discs.

• DVD-RW (formerly known as DVD-ER and DVD-R/W) eliminated the protective cartridge that was at first required by DVD-RAM, making it compatible with the disc-loading mechanisms in DVD players and DVD-ROM drives. However, a variety of issues prevent some DVD-RW discs from being recognized by some DVD players and drives.

• DVD+RW was (according to its advocates) designed to be compatible with most existing DVD drives and players but has not proven to be a perfect solution to the compatibility issue. While Minus-R (-R) and Minus-RW (-RW) are the recordable and rewritable formats supported by the DVD Forum, several manufacturers got together (including DVD Forum co-founders Philips, Sony, and Thomson) to create and manufacture the Plus RW (+RW), and later the Plus R (+R) formats. We won’t go into the details here, but the features and benefits of the technology are somewhat different.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]