FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pls give me advice re: archiving analog tapes for later NLE

COW Forums : Videoguys.com Tech Talk

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
CapnWhizBang
Pls give me advice re: archiving analog tapes for later NLE
on Jan 19, 2006 at 5:55:46 am

I got my hands on an ADS Pyro. I've got 8 and Hi-8 analog tapes plus older VHS tapes that I want to digitize before they turn to dust. My thought is to digitize all the tapes and burn the files to DVDs (as data DVDs for later import into NLE projects). What file format(s) are NLE suites capable of importing? What file format do you suggest I burn to the DVDs? (I don't have any NLE software yet other than Windows Movie Maker on my PC and iMovie on my wife's Mac) Is this a good plan? Got a better one? Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

park
Re: Pls give me advice re: archiving analog tapes for later
by
on Jan 20, 2006 at 11:51:41 pm

CapnWhizBang: I got my hands on an ADS Pyro. I've got 8 and Hi-8 analog tapes plus older VHS tapes that I want to digitize before they turn to dust. My thought is to digitize all the tapes and burn the files to DVDs (as data DVDs for later import into NLE projects). What file format(s) are NLE suites capable of importing? What file format do you suggest I burn to the DVDs? (I don't have any NLE software yet other than Windows Movie Maker on my PC and iMovie on my wife's Mac) Is this a good plan? Got a better one? Thanks for your help.

Let me start by disclaiming that I'm not an expert: I've never used Windows Movie Maker or iMovie, but I've dabbled with Avid Xpress. Opinions are varied on what the best plan is, but since you're just asking if it's a "good" plan, I'll assume you mean "good results without spending much time or money." In that case, yes, it's a good idea to digitize your old tapes for later use.

If you can get Movie Maker and/or iMovie to spit out .avi files or quicktime files, then start with those formats. Decent NLEs should handle them. If you're storing them on data DVDs, then why not make them in every format you can? You've got plenty of storage on data DVDs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]